What's new

dlp choices (1 Viewer)

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
Hello...looking for some suggestions. Im planning on upgrading our tv, and have been researching alot of different ones. Wife says plasma is out due to the short life, lcd seems pricey when you get above 50" so i guess dlp is what i need. Im looking at the samsung 61" dlp ,6187 i think is the model number. Is there a better brand for about the same price range? I went to Best Buy yesterday, but really couldnt make a conclusion.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Best RPTV's on the market are Mitsubishi Diamond Series DLP, JVC D-ILA, and Sony SXRD. If any of these are available within your budget, these would be my first picks. My next pick would be a Samsung DLP.

Also be aware that Hitachi and Toshiba stopped manufacturing RPTV's in the past couple of weeks, so it may be best to avoid these brands.

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
Hey, thanks for the Reply...well i went to Circuit city today, i looked at the mitsubishi, but the only models they had were a wd-y57 and a wd-y65, im thinking these are not the diamond series you are talking about. I also looked at there sonys...maybe they didnt have them set up right..the pictures were not near as nice as the other tv,s. Im still on the fence here, neither circuit city or the best buy here had alot to choose from.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Why does your wife think plasma sets have a short life? That's not really true of today's plasma sets.

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
well they installed 3 plasma sets at her job(hospital), and they all went out one by one in less than a year, they replaced them, (warranty) and they did the same thing. Also have some friends that had some problems. What kind of life have you heard off? I love the picture i have seen on them, but as a working man, cant afford to replace, hehe

Thanks
JR

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given her experience (though it would help to know what brand/model of plasmas that kept failing in her hospital), you'll never win this bout with the wife, so you're probably better off to consider other choices.

Plasmas will last for a couple of decades for typical home use (8 hours/day or less) with half-life of around 60,000 hours (at least for Panasonic plasma models these days). Also factor in the fact that the bulbs in new DLP or LCos RPTV sets will need replacing every 3-4 years (or sooner if the set is used more), and they cost around $175-$250 a pop.

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
hehe, your right about fighting a losing battle...we were at circuit city today and there was a baseball game(home run derby) on the plasma...i was blown away...i said now look at the picture...she wouldnt even look:D

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I own a Samsung Dlp and have had it for about 3 or 4 years now. HLN61 something.

I can honestly say it was an excellent purchase.

4 years ago, the techonolgy was not as good as it is today so I can only imagine the TV's have gotten better and cheaper.

Mine has a few quirks but proper (or as proper as I could get it with the Colorimeter and Spyder software) calibration has helped mitigate those and the picture is fantastic.

HD on the TV is magic too even though it is DVI and only 1080i.

No bulb issues yet but I am waiting... It is probably due.

I would recommend Samsung products without hesitation. I recently boughtr my Dad a Samsung LCD and he loves it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Dave

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A couple of Samsung deals at Costco:

Now until August 5 (online only): HL-T6156W with stand for $2100 delivered (Costco extends the 1 year warranty to 2 for free, but you might consider a 3rd-party warranty).

Second (or third) week of August in-store: HLT6756W with stand for $2400 (normally $2800, but there's a coupon in the current wallet for that week).

jrgreene1968

Agent
Real Name
Harry
hey thanks for the replies...i am heavily leaning towards the samsung, i have my eye on the 6187, i went shopping for a receiver today at the circuit city and the sales person seemed to think the tv would go on sale in the next few months...im going to keep a lookout...i might have bought one today but i ended up buying a new receiver and a hd dvd player, wife would have shot me if i added a tv to the ticket:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks