What's new

DLP camera & DLP Projectors? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Someone is telling me there are also DLP cameras!?! Is he right? He also once told me you could send 5.1 Dolby throught an analog stereo connection so I'm not sure he knows what hes talking about.

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
He also says Star wars was recorded with DLP (does DLP also stand for something else?)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
:D that's what I think, but he always seems 1000% sure of himself "there ARE DLP camera's too you know!" :D :D :D

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
DLP cameras??? ROFL

That's like saying there are CRT-cameras.

Star wars was filmed digitally. DLP is a digital projection technology. Just because both are "digital" doesn't mean they are also the same. Heck, CDs are digital, but star wars wasn't filmed on CD was it? hahaha

You can't send Dolby Digital through stereo connection. You can use PLII to create a "5.1" surround environment from stereo, but that's not DD.

:rolleyes

Sacha_C

Second Unit
He said I was duped when the salesmen told me I needed a digital cable to get 5.1 surround (no salesmen really told me that, I just said that to try to make him admit he was wrong), Let me try to find some of the emails, it's quite funny. He also keeps calling it Dolby "5:1".

Apparently he's not even aware DVDs are recorded in 6 channels:
"Yes it make sense to take 5 or 6 separate signals and direcetly feed them to the final speaker outputs. This being siad though, were is the original 5 or 6 separate signals coming from? The sender did not record the original sound in 5 separate channels correct?"

This is how he explains that all the channels are encoded in a stereo signal:
"It reads a digital file be it on a hard drive or CD. This file is not recorded with 5 or 6 separate channels but encoded with this information on 2 tracks. If the information was on 5 or 6 tracks you would not be able to listen to the tracks on a non 5:1 system."

"Lastly, you do lose quality since the 2 channel stereo is
based on the original 5:1 digital file that was converted
to 2 channel stereo and then the 5:1 decoder extracts what it can from this signal."

"Like I said we are not sending a 5:1 signal. it's encoded within the siganl itself and decoded. There is no actual 5 separate signals. Just the digital signals that allows the decoder to extract that 5 signals. Really you can ask all over the boards but who can you trust at the end of the day. You cannot trust everything you read on the Internet."

"Retailers will tell you you have to
have a digital connections. This is how they make money.
If these 10+ people were convinced by a salesman too then I can say they fall into the same category as you. You have been duped."

"From what I understand, there are two signals accepted. Standard stereo which uses something like the Dolby Prologic surround simulator to produce 5:1 and something like DTS which takes encoded 5:1 stereo signal and produces 5:1 surround."

"If you think you're right then so be it."

"Here a doument that discribes how the 5:1 signals bandwidth is compressed into the stereo signal. http://www.dtsonline.com/history8.pdf"

That document just says that SACDs use DTS compression to be able to fit 5 channels in as little space 2 do on a regular CD, you still need an SACD player to play them.

:D

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
So we've established that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

That he's confused is not at all out of the ordinary, especially in regards to the many very confusing surround sound formats and processing systems.

INdeed, DTS, DD, SACD and DVD-A can all contain fully discrete mixes. (DTS-ES discrete can contain 6.1). These are discrete when mixed in the studios.

You need to direct him to this site, and have him read through the beginner's primer as well as read through the very thorough and informative documents from Dolby and DTS.

It seems you know enough not to listen to him when it comes to HT stuff, but you shouldn't bash his lack of understanding either, but instead lead him to sources of information that are trusted and explanatory.

I don't think i need to counter all those erroneous statements he made though. Oh, and BTW a digital connection uses a single Coax cable, while a stereo connection uses 2. "duped" to sell more cables? I don't think so...

Direct him here, we can always help him through all the info. I can even type out all the corrections to his assumptions and mis-understandings.

There is one thing he said that is 100% true:

"You cannot trust everything you read on the Internet."

Indeed. But I would trust Dolby when it explains how it's OWN systems work... along with the many knowledgeable folk here. I don't know HOW many times I've run into 3rd party sites that try to explain surround processing and surround sound formats and get it totally wrong, or are out of date, ora re misleading. It's just like news, just because Rush limbaugh says it's so doesn't make it so...

Sacha_C

Second Unit
It did show him the dolby site but he still thought he was right, as I said, he's 1000% sure he's right and doesn't want to be corrected.

Actually he just got a receiver and I think he might understand now because he is using a digital connection.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dolby.com/company/is.ot.0...hOverview.html

http://www.dolby.com/tech/mp.br.0102...onOfSound.html

http://www.dtsonline.com/technology/at-a-glance.php

http://www.dtsonline.com/media/uploa...,downloads.pdf

This one explains well too, but doesn't really include good explanations of the Matrixed systems that derive surround sound from stereo sources, the most prominent being Dolby Pro Logic:

http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml

Have him actually READ through all of these.

The internet is riddled with very "official-looking" and sounding sites that do great jobs of explaining many things, but are often just flat-out wrong. Take this one for example:

http://www.ee.washington.edu/consele.../surround.html

The above article thoroughly confused DSD and Dolby Digital, which are two very thoroughly different technologies. the author notes "Dolby Stereo Digital (DSD)", which does not exist in any way shape or form. DSD is the format used on SACD. Plus the article looks to be out-dated.

Be wary, there's LOTS of people floating around who don't know what they are talking about.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
He might be confusing this with SLR a new type of camera coming out. I honestly dont know a thing about it except it was on the cover to some magazine...about some new SLR cameras coming. Anyone else know?

Sacha_C

Second Unit
If you own both a DLP projector and digital camera, could you please record a short 5-10 second clip showing a DLP movie projection while moving the camera rapidly from side to side?

The only example of this I found was a projection of a white ring on a black background which greatly increases the effect comapred to when a movie would be projected instead.

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I remember on a site someone said blockbuster had "please rewind" stickers on the DVD and the guy told them DVDs can;t be rewinded, and the manager came to explain how it spun the DVD in the opposite direction to bring it back to the begining :D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't own any DLP projector, but I'm curious. What exactly are you looking for? And why?

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I see. If you're actually ready to buy, maybe you should ask the dealer to do this demo for you. Afterall, not everyone seems to be equally affected, if at all, by the rainbow/color-wheel problem.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ah... I see that this is actually a follow-up to another thread, and you actually are not ready to buy yet.

_Man_

PS: BTW, as you wondered in the other thread, what happened to the edit function?? It's suddenly gone today.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sacha, you have no less than 4 threads open, really all for the same purpose if one were to look closely. I am combining this thread with one of the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks