What's new

DLP better than Rear Projection? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was at Best Buy tonight looking at the TVs tonight. Now I know most of these displays are not calibrated properly. However, with all of the being equally uncalibrated, the DLPs looked much better. I had my sights set on a RPTV. However, now I am wondering if I should spend a little more and get a DLP.

(No matter which TV I get, I will be getting it ISF'd.)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A "DLP" is either a RPTV or a front projector. Also, it's tough to assume they're all "equally uncalibrated".

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Dave, there really isn't a "better." There is "better at some things." RP-CRT is better at black levels, but sucks at overall brightness. DLP is a good general performer, but some people experience headaches and see rainbows when they view them. But they are great in bright rooms. Projectors are great at providing a sharp image at HUGE sizes but forget using one in a room with any significant ambient light. RP-LCD is sharp and bright but has terrible black levels and occasional vertical banding.

What is your room like? Bright/dark? What is your viewing distance?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There are some sets that are 70% out of the box and others at 30% out of the box ... 70 versus 30 is not equally uncalibrated.

It is sometimes quite possible for that 30% set to be taken all the way to 100% with proper set up while that 70% cannot go higher than 75%. No way to tell that on a showroom floor.

Every technology type has its strengths and weaknesses. CRT RP units are considered the best for absolute image quality ... but they need a lot of TLC ... and are not the best solution for everyone's application.

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys.

Well, picture quality and black level is my #1 priority so I guess I shoudl stick with CRT.

I am looking at a Mitsubishi RPTV at 55" or 65" (313 or 315 series). My viewing space is approx. 12-13 feet. I'm still not sure on the size to get. DVD will be my number one priority and the room will be dark or the most part. I'm going to have my ISF tech definitely calibrate the set for the room being dark.

Also, while we are at it, should I get an upscaling DVD player or not? :)

Thanks again.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Hi Dave --
When light can be controlled there is much less reason to look at anything other than a RP-CRT ... except ... make sure you are comfortable with the burnin issue. This means, no watching CNN or other channels with bright obtrusive logos or shopping channel banners for hours and hours on end ... zooming/stretching 4:3 content to avoid pillarbar burnin. Even calibrated sets can experience burnin if you leave the same image on a long time and very often ... of watch a lot of 4:3 material.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Always other issues beyond just pure image quality. Sometimes the wife wants something with a smaller profile ...

Maybe you don't want to wait 30 to 45 minutes for the TV to warm up ...

Maybe you get sick of geometry errors and convergence errors ...

Maybe you don't like the way the colour shifts from left to right ...

Always more to consider ...

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Is Burn-in THAT much of an issue with RPTV?

I have a five-year-old Sony 61" RPTV (4X3 analog). I have watched plenty of News channels for MANY hours long and never had an issue with logo burn-in..same with other logo channels. Was I just lucky? Or, does it say something about quality with Sony?

However, I have watched other material as well (DVDs, etc.)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've got no burn in on my 3+ year old Sony KP57HW40, it's not a Sony thing, just decent contrast levels and a bit of care in what I watch. My convergence hasn't drifted at all, picture doesn't take 30 minutes to look good (didn't on my old analog Hitachi either). In bright white overall screen I can see a tiny bit of color shift--bluish on one side and reddish on the other, very rarely visible in actual program content or when watching movies.
I do have pretty decent roomlight control, crt rptvs are not the best for brightly lit rooms by any means.

I kinda like the picture characteristics of crt rptvs better as a matter of personal preference more than anything else, just looks less video-like when I'm watching movies. Again a personal thing, your results or preferences may vary.

My set doesn't have dvi or HDMI or whatever, so eventually will have to get a new one for BluRay or HDDVD. At that time I actually plan to get LCD,DLP, or LCOS rather than crt figuring a direct digital path all the way probably would be best.

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
michale tlv, can you explain what you mean by:

how much work is required to remedy these errors and maintain the set?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks