DLP and the Rainbow Effect

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tyson Burchak, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Tyson Burchak

I just bought a Mitsubishi xd300u, and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the rainbow effect in full effect. Do any of you know a good movie, or part of a movie, to watch in order to maximize the problem so that I'm 100% sure? Thanks.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Black & white films make it easy to see the phenomenon. If you have Dark City, then that may be a good second choice or perhaps the end credits to a movie with white characters on a black background.

3. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Try the Tim Burton version of Sleepy Hollow. It's almost black and white and there are frequent lightning flashes that should do the trick.

The more important question for you is: is it bothering you?

If it isn't enjoy your projector and don't worry!

4. BrentC

BrentC Agent

The only way I can see them on my friends X1 is if we are either playing a video game or especially watching something with subtitles. When I move my eyes from the words back to the screen I see them "jump" in my perifrial vision. Other than that I have to either shake my head like a madman or put my hand a few feet from the screen and shake it really fast... very pretty really.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah subtitles really do the trick...

6. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Brent,

I have to believe that anyone watching the "stand near the screen and wave your hand really fast" move will have no choice but to question your sanity [​IMG]

7. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Tyson,

As people here are saying a high contrast image will do the trick, especially something like streetlights in a night scene.

The other sure fire way to induce the effect is eye movement when watching those high contrast images. I remember watching JAWS on a DLP, where Hooper and Quint were at opposite sides of the frame with a light hanging between them. Everytime my eyes scanned from Hooper to Quint (depending on who was talking) that light between them burst into rainbows as my eyes scanned past it.

I found the sure-fire way to see the rainbows is with a high-contrast image, but look from the DLP display to the floor below the display and back to the display again. Whenever my eyes do this vertical movement it induces the rainbow effect even more than horizontal scanning.