DIY video cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by DonRC, Feb 25, 2005.

1. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of setting up my HT. As part of that, I need to run cables to my projector (which I don't have yet, but it's only a matter of time...). I am thinking I need to run component video, composite video, DVI (or HDMI, depending on projector), and VGA.

My cable runs are going to be about 25-30 feet in order to get from my equipment closet to my projector. I was curious if people have had success with DIY cabling of those various types. I would like to be able to save some money on cabling while still maintaining high quality/low signal loss.

In addition, I already have 4 lines of coax cable (RG6, I believe - the fatter of either RG59 or RG6, anyway :p) ) running from the equipment closet to the attic above the projector mounting area. Can I put terminators on these cables to serve as some of my video cables? (I was thinking the three component and one composite, but I don't really know.) I also have a couple of speaker wires running from my equipment closet to right above my projector, but my assumption is that these wouldn't have nearly adequate bandwidth for video signals, and I don't know what else they would be used for.

Anyway... any guidance people can provide would be greatly appreciated. Since I'm fishing any wire down through walls, I'd like to minimize the number of wires I need to run.

2. Paul His

Paul His Agent

RG6 is the physically larger and higher-bandwidth-spec cable.

I've been using RG6 for a 25' run with my Sanyo Z2 for the past year on my component and composite feeds, with good results.

The cables are terminated in RCA connectors made for RG6(ie the connector has the appropriate cable entry size). A big bucks approach is not required - just use solid connectors with good terminations.

I'm not sure about DVI and VGA - it seems like you probably wouldn't need both, but it depends on what you're feeding the pj with.

Paul

3. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

Oh... I also need cable for my subwoofer. When they built the house, they ran speaker wire for 7.1 surround. However, my understanding is that you want a "beefier" cable for the subwoofer than regular speaker wire. One of the wall plates (in front) that has speaker wire run to it also has RG6 to it. Should I just use the speaker wire, or should I use the RG6 for my subwoofer? (Note to self... pick up a couple extra RCA connectors...)

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

If you have an active subwoofer, meaning the amplifier is in it (most likely) then you want to use something like RG6 to get the signal to ir, not speaker wire.

5. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

Okay. That's what I thought.

Thanks.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You just want to make sure that the RG6 you've got up there isn't copper over steel. Look at the center conductor and make sure it doesn't look gray in the middle.