DIY Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Johnson, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Oct 21, 2001
    Just a stupid question, since I am in the market for some good main speakers.
    I bought a pair(and returned a pair)of Klipsch RP-3 (I wont go into why I returned them in fear of the Klipsch squad hunting me down)
    So, I pulled my old pioneer speakers out of the basement too hook them back up until I find something better.
    Then I think "Hey, these pioneers sure do look good"
    So, could I just buy some new drivers to replace my old tired drivers? The speaker now sounds muddy & tired, but it has a nice ported box. The speaker has 10,4,2 inch drivers. I will probably go check parts express after I post. (btw [​IMG] for parts express, UPS delivered to the wrong address, UPS corrected the problem the next day and the day after that I received a replacement order,I called PE and they said "keep it" Sure it was only 30 dollars worth of stuff, but hey)
    Anyways, would this be the ultimate in cheap home theater? Or not worth the effort.
  2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Sep 11, 2000
    I would have to say not worth the effort. You can't merely drop in totally different drivers. You'd have to totally redesign the crossover. Your best bet would be to start with a good quality kit from a reputable company. If you have the tools you can build your own cabinets and finish them any way you want.

I built a pair of tower speakers from kits (ACI Opals) for about $500 that would compete with most $1200+/pair towers out there.