DIY upgrade to an existing sub?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KyleCT, Jan 13, 2004.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

I have come to the realization that my 80 dollar KLH E10 from costco sub is a piece of crap. If i wanted to upgrade by building my own sub would it be ok to just replace the driver in my existing sub? Would i have to replace the driver and the crossover? If that wouldn't work could i at least use the box and replace everything inside? Matching the volume of the box to the driver seems pretty important so what if i just find a driver that works well in that volume. Would it make a big difference? Thanks

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Sorry you can't just replace the driver. The amp as built-in EQ specific to the driver. Your best bet is to sell the unit and start from scratch

3. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

If you plan on using it as a passive sub ( not using the plate amp that is built in), there is no technical reason you cannot try to use the box if you can find an inexpensive driver that models well in the volume you have to work with.

I recycled my old 4 way towers with Tempests and they worked very well (they was non powered to begin with).

With that said though, assuming that the sub is functional (sellable), I would agree with Thomas that it would be far more economical to sell your sub for whatever you can get for it, and maybe buy the Parts Express Dayton 10 sub for 125.00 (occasionally on sale for 100.00) and have a good solid performing sub that is a known quantity. A co-worker of mine just bought one and it is very impressive for the $$$.

4. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

Better yet try the dayton quatro 15" for $85 (occationally on sale for $75) and put it in a 5.5 cu-ft box (21.5" x 21.5" x 21.5" internal, could be built with 1 4'x8' sheet of $20 MDF) with the 250 watt amp(occationally onsale for $100). This is capable of over 110 db with an F3 of 23hz. You can get a lower F3 with a larger box if you want too. Not bad for around $200 bucks. I am going to build one of these for my brother in law as soon as spring hits. If you have a wife or live-in signigicant other this option may be a little too big, but it never hurts to ask.