DIY Three Way kit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Brown, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Steve Brown

Steve Brown Auditioning

Hello all. I have obtained on old set of Fisher tower speakers that don't work anymore. I would like to investigate a DIY kit because I really like the cabinets (they match the rest of my HT furniture nicely).
    After doing a lot of reading about DIY speakers on this forum, I have decided that a kit is the way for me to go. I don't have any expereince with speaker design, nor do I have the time to learn schematics, etc. However, I am always willing to try new things (like soldering [​IMG]).
    The speakers are labeled as follows:
    Three way speaker with passive radiator
    100watts max RMS
    8 ohm
    10" woofer
    10" passive radiator
    4" mid
    3" tweeter
    From what I have found, there don't seem to be many kits out there to fill the existing holes in the cabinets. The screens are still in good shape, so I don't mind having a gaping hole behind them. [​IMG]
    Could someone point me towards a DIY kit that would replace all/some of these speakers? If anyone has some other suggestions, I am open to ideas. Thanks!
    Steve

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I think you are SOL. A good kit is really a selection of drivers matched to a cabinet volume and a crossover designed with a lot of trial and error real world measurement/tweaking. This is difficult with a simple 2 way design and very difficult with a 3 way, which is why 90% of the viable kit designs are 2 way. The chances of finding a well executed kit design that meet your needs (cabinet volume close to your, drivers that can fit into the 4 holes you have) is about zero. About your only option is to use your current cabinet as a dummy shell and build a smaller kit into it, perhaps creating a pathway out the back for a port or front porting.