DIY theater seats

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Robbins, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

Anyone who has gone looking for home theater seats will attest to the fact that they're not cheap. I am looking at building my own but would like some input on seat cushion construction. Does anyone know if most are off coil spring design or just foam? My Google searches haven't turned up a clue as to what construction methods are used. The seats will not need to fold up but just look like standard theater seats and be at least as comfortable.

2. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i would look for used old theater seats and fix them up

3. Dennis XYZ

Dennis XYZ Stunt Coordinator

How about using/modifying office chairs? I'm sitting in a really comfy leather one I got at Costco for about 100 bucks. It looks and feels kind of like a car bucket seat.

4. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

There are a set of almost brand new seats on the For Sale forum. It's 4 of them and they guy is asking 1/2 price, I think about $1200 for the set

TedO

5. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jim, try doing a search on mission style furniture. Very DIY design. With some creativity you can cover the sides with fabric/leather. But the seating basics will be covereed...no pun intended.
    For example,
    http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070132.asp
    Also check some bookstores, that you can thumb thru several different books ot get some ideas.

6. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. Dennis you might have something there. Other than the base, a nice office chair might make a decent theater chair. I'll look into it.
    As for old theater chairs, I've been down that route and they wanted $100 for a real piece of junk that even had broken mechanisms.

7. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Have you ever seen how they make tonneau covers for truck beds? You know, the hard top ones with the vinyl (simulate leater look). I used to make those here and there for friends with a wafer board structure. You could easily form a chair out of MDF board with rounded edges and upholster it (staples and 1/2" stuffing for a bit of padding).
    You could make a design like a wing backed chair and upholster it with a nice looking vinyl or cloth. Then just have someone make cushions for it or make your own out of the same material. It would probably only cost 75 bucks a chair if you played your cards right (depending on cost of fabric chosen). I can explain in more detial if this interests you.
    I've never done it myself but it seems feesible if you build a decent frame under it. I suppose you'd be limited to the style chair though. MDF is good for a lot of stuff but horizontal stability without good support isn't one of them [​IMG]
    Anyway, just an idea.
    Darren

8. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

I gotta do it for all of us "sensitive" folks out there. I personally HATE theater seating. In any form. The only thing that has even gotten close to comfy for me is the "wide leather" VIP seating at the local LOEWES theatre. The others are way too small and never have enough cushioning for me.

Save some bux and get some good recliners. You CANNOT beat watching a good movie with popcorn on your lap, your feet in the air, and an a**load of cushioning under your derierre.

Daffy Arthur King
    With The Brain of a Duck

9. ClarkZ

ClarkZ Agent

You can get reconditioned theater seats from this guy. You need to read through the thread. I have 4 seats on order and he has been great to work with so far.
    Link To Theater Chairs