DIY Tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Benihana, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

What does the LOW Q sealed 230L tempest with 250 watts compare too in the retail market subwoofers. I have yet to hear a sub that can match it from all the stores I had went too, but the Klipsch RSW-15 @ goodguys seemed to have similar output, but thats like a $1800 sub.What else is there? Oh, and another thing, I tried the sub both downfiring(adires recommended), and forward firing; it is much less localizable when in forward firing mode and blends much better, and it hits you harder. In downfiring mode, you can feel where it is coming from and it just sounds bass is coming only from the sub. It is placed along the front plane of the mains and in the left corner, right next to the speaker. I played a 20hz signal today, my room was shaking [​IMG]

2. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

I have a sealed "mid-Q" Tempest in a downfiring configuration. It is not localizable.

I can't answer your first question because I'd never heard a sub before I built my Tempest!

Tempest Sub Construction Pictures: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

3. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

Hey, your sub loox good. Since your sub is inbetween your speakers, it will blend much better and it will seem like the mains are felting out the bass,i have tried that before with another sub with good results. Its just with this downfiring sub and previous ones, its more localizable. I also seem to get more volume front firing, maybe the carpet is absorbing some bass.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The room itself can also help/hinder a sub's localization.