DIY Tactile Transducers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryHatchett, Aug 5, 2001.

1. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

I know there are plans on the net for DIY transducers, but has anyone here actually built any? If so, what's the verdict?
    I started a project a while back, then got consumed in the Nasdaq boom and shelved all other projects for a while. As you've probably heard the Nasdaq boom is way over [​IMG] and I'm thinking of reviving the DIYTT project.
    I bought a couple of heavy duty Boss 10" car subs, cut the cones out, and started trying to figure out the best way to proceed from that point.
    Any and all thoughts, experiences, plans, and tips from you fine folk will be appreciated.
    Jerry

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I built a couple of these about a year and a half ago. I've been using and loving them ever since. I also got a friend of mine to build a pair and he also can't live without them now. It's a great cheap project that makes a real "impact" on your home theater.
    If I was to do it again I would actually cut the cone last, but it's still not too late for you. You just have to be very careful not to misalign the voice coil when you are finishing up.
    I can't remember exactly where I found my instructions. I printed them out over 2 years ago then set them aside and revisited it later. Now I can't even find the instructions, but still remember how to build them.
    Starting from what you've done so far, you need to stiffen the dust cap. I used a very hard titanium filled epoxy. Don't use the 1 minute epoxy. That sets up too fast. I went for the 30 minute epoxy. It gave me plenty of working time, but just slowed the project down. Do many thin coats. 10 thin coats is better then 1 thick coat. Put on as many as necessary to really stiffen the dust cap. The thicker the better. You can never put too much on.
    You will need metal strapping (about 1/16" thick and 1" to 1-1/2" wide) to attach across the speaker frame. Center a hole in the strapping exactly over the center of the dust cap. Use nuts and bolts with lock washers to secure the strapping to the frame. The lock washers will prevent the strapping from vibrating loose.
    You now need to attach the strapping to the dust cap using a bolt. You can attach the bolt to the strapping easily using a nut and a lock washer, but you will need to find an effective way to attach it to the dust cap. The way I did it was to epoxy several washers to the dust cap, then epoxy the bolt to the center of the washers. Once you've attached it you will need to build up more epoxy around the connection of the bolt to the dust cap. This will strengthen the joint and prevent cracking. I also epoxied the bolt to the strapping just to make sure the nut and lock washer didn't come loose.
    To add weight and tune the shakers I used lead shot and a sock. Fill the sock with 3 lbs. of shot. By adding more weight you "tune out" the higher frequencies. I didn't find it necessary to add more weight. Wrap duct tape around the sock to hold it in a long cylindrical shape. It should be shorter than the length of the strapping though. Then I used cable ties to attach the weight to the strapping.
    Take your time and it should turn out very well. I know you'll be very pleased.
    How and where you mount these is up to you. I built a support frame for my couch and attached it to the framing of the couch. I hooked them up to my old pro-logic receiver and use it as the amp. They are now a must for all my movie watching.
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JerryHatchett

Thx much, Bill. Glad to hear that someone here is actually using some DIY transducers. And it sounds like you built yours from the same set of plans that I have.
    I'm planning to mount mine on a wood plate that will be fastened across the underside of my floor joists.
    Again, thanks for the detailed comments. I'll bookmark your advice for definite future use. [​IMG]
    Jerry

4. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Bill,
    Do you have pictures of this?
    ------------------

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I wish I did take pictures. Unfortunately, right now they are in a very inconvenient location to be able to take pictures of them. I mounted them inside our couch that has a hide-a-bed. When I mounted them I unfolded the bed, climbed inside and under, and mounted them up inside the back of the couch. They are well out of the way for the bed to fold back up. When your sitting they would be directly behind your back (but far enough back so you're not leaning on them) but you feel it all over because they are attached to the structure of the couch. Their powerful enough to even shake the mass of the bed. On a lighter weight couch I'd have to turn down the volume.
    I'll draw up a sketch and post here when I get a chance. Right now I've got to grill up some burgers for dinner. [​IMG]
    Edit: Jerry, what is the site you got your instructions from? I can check it to see if it's the same. Maybe I could use his illustrations instead. They were very good.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Bill Catherall on August 05, 2001 at 08:18 PM]

6. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Jerry,
    Can you post the url?
    ------------------

7. JerryHatchett

It's been ages since I started this project, but this reads like the instructions I used, although the article that I had way back then also had pictures:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_2/tactile.html
    Never mind, now that I look closer I see that there are picture links in this article.
    Jerry
    [Edited last by JerryHatchett on August 05, 2001 at 11:03 PM]