DIY switching solution?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jonathan T, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Anyone know of plans for a DIY switching seperate? I don't need to worry about digital signals or anything better than composite video and analog 2 channel audio. But I need at least 5 inputs. Anyone?

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Do you mean a preamp? If you build a preamp you'll probably do so with a selector switch of some sort, but you could also just put a switch and a volume control in a box if you don't need a preamp. I think you can use a standard heavy duty rotary (or other) selector switch, or use small switches controlling relays at the output.

3. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I don't need any volume control, it's only for video games. I'd have to relay 1 video and 2 audio signals. Should be easy.

4. Michael R Price

I sense a "ghetto" switch-and-wires-hanging-in-free-air sort of thing coming along. Well, that's what I would do. Oh wait, I already did it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That's what I'm talkin about. But I need 5 inputs. I can probably just make a 5 input one from your picture.

Edit: or maybe not. I can't really see what wires go where. You got a schematic?

6. Michael R Price

This one is complicated because I used two 2-position Radio Shack switches to switch between 3 sources (computer, CDP and radio). If I were you I'd find a nice 6-position rotary switch like Digikey part CKC7004-ND... you'd need a pair of that kind of switch or you could use a more expensive 2-deck model to do both channels at once. Wire the signal lines from the sources to the different positions on the switch and wire the output line to the switch's "pole." You can connect all the signal grounds together, at least that's what I did.

7. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I bought a 5 input a/v switcher at EB for $20. Switches composite and S video, and even will convert to RF if you want it too. It included some cheap cables and the transformer to power the RF converter.

Not that I have anything against DIY but I think $20 is a pretty fair price for what I got.

Mark

8. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Mark, that sounds good. Thanks.