1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY SVHS Cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobMcN, Feb 11, 2003.

1. BobMcN

BobMcN Extra

I just ordered some Parts Express gold S-Video connectors (091-1216)but I have a question about which wire to use. Belden has 2 wires which look promising:

1808A (which is 2 shielded (90% coverage), 30 ga tinned copper connectors within 1 outer jacket)
    7700A (which is 2 shielded (98% coverage copper braid), 30 ga tinned copper connectors side by side, plenum/teflon insulation)

Now I know about the magical properties of teflon. The 7700A also has better shielding, but the side by side geometry may pose a slight problem with the S-Video connector.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Not to belittle your idea, buy why are you making DIY s-video cables? I can understand speaker cables, and RCA, BNC, component, and composite. S-video isn't exactly a crimp on operation.

I've heard that s-video cables can be touchy to make. Myself, I just bought some Dayton Audio s-video cables from Parts Express. I plan on making my own RCA cables for audio, but I decided to just buy some premade s-video cable because it didn't seem worth the hassle.

Seth

3. BobMcN

BobMcN Extra

I've turned into a self-confessed soldier junkie. I can get a 5' sample length of either of these wires for free. So the cost is only about $5 for the connectors and my time/patience to soldier the tiny, tiny wires - vs about $35 for store bought of the same/less quality.

Thanks for your concern.
    Bob

4. Ted Drain

Ted Drain Agent

For short runs, the 1808A works fine. For longer runs, I suggest buying/building a break-out cable.

Build a short (6") cable from 1808A with an SVHS connector on one end. On the other end, split the coax cables and attach male BNC connectors. Then make your run with 2 cables of high grade video cable with BNC's on the ends.

5. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I've read the 7700a is better. Furthermore, shielding is very important in video cables. You can add a telescoping shield for even better results.
    BTW, I own some generic SVHS cables that have the same zip configuration as the 7700a.