diy subwoofer.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jasonBR, Aug 6, 2005.

1. jasonBR

jasonBR Auditioning

hi i am new to this whole diy speaker thing. i have an idea for what i want to do and was wondering if anybody here had any opinions.

i currently just have a e250p jbl and just want more quality bass and more low end extension.

not sure if i want to go sealed or ported, i would probably do ported if i new anything about how to tune and what to tune to.

what i want to use is the 500 watt amp from oaudio.com and the sx12 sub from resonant engineering. (reaudio.com).

i am pretty sure i want it to be downfiring instead of front. i think i want it to be sealed but not sure on that part yet. i want it to play really low but also sound good for music. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks, jason

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

What in particular makes you want to use the sx12 woofer? With a Vas of only 47.6L I would think these are designed for very small boxes. This makes it difficult to design a ported box with adequate vent area and still yield a low tuning frequency. You're stuck with either a slot port wrapped around multiple sides of the box or a "periscope" port that hangs out of the box. Passive radiators might be an option.

Is it just me or is the Xmax and price not listed for this woofer?

But anyway, the TC2+ woofers on that oaudio.com site look pretty decent for a vented sub. Not that I actually simulated them, they just look like more reasonable specs for home audio. Plus they appear to give an 8% discount if you buy woofer + amp.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The 12" TC2+ has the lowest distortion of any 12" driver we've tested.

Hint, I can't wait for the new 15" model from Todd... [​IMG]

4. jasonBR

jasonBR Auditioning

what exactly is vas? i have heard good things about the company and it's the only one they have that can be run at 4 ohms wich the amp requires. how would it work in a sealed box instead of ported? the TC2 just sounds cheap to me.

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

That's right we don't know anything about good loudspeakers.

If you need to spend more money, buy one of the Tumults from Adire Audio. They're design for home audio, and they certainly aren't cheap. http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/TumultSeries.htm

Good luck......

6. jasonBR

jasonBR Auditioning

i wasn't saying that you didn't know anything about good loudspeakers. i researched it just now and found for myself that yes they are a good speaker. the AV12 by AE Audio which is the same thing as the tc2+ but updated, only has 48.44 vas. the only thing they did was change something in the motor to give it more movement, and changed the frame of it. i'm guessing you have heard of the AV12.

7. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Jason,
    It seems to be the tone of your questions/responses that is the problem. Regulars on this forum (especially guys like Thomas) are very knowledgeable about the drivers available to DIY'ers. If you ask a question about a specific appliciation/project you want to achieve, my guess is that you will get multiple helpful suggestions. Here are a few 12's for you to look at:

Stryke/AE - 1204 & PC12 (old Lambda sub)
    Dayton Titanic MkII or MkIII
    Dayton DVC12
    JLB GT12 (car sub, but specs that almost match the old Shiva)
    OAudio TC+2 12
    GR Research 12 & Passive
    Rythmik Audio 12
    Ascendant Audio (old and new drivers)
    New Adire drivers (when available)
    Thomas, am I missing anything?

JP

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jim,

Those are reasonable choices.

The reason I specificially mentioned the 12" TC2+ is that in 40yrs of building speakers it has the lowest distortion figures of any 12" driver we've measured. I know most of the other drivers in your list can't make that claim.

Unfortunately John J has been MIA for a while, his forum is down and people who ordered in June are still waiting for drivers. So scratch AE's drivers off the list until John J. pops in and says "hi"

The Rythmic 12" is another TC-Sounds variant like the TC2+ and the AV12. The Ascendant drivers aren't available until the next production run has been completed.

Given the minimal price difference between the TC2+ 12" and 15", I recommend the 15" since it will move so much more air.