What's new

DIY Subwoofer question...help me understand the Tumult vs. DPL-12 (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

Yes, single!:)

BTW, after talking with Dan Wiggins, I don't think I'd be very comfortable using the PE amp. At least not if I wanted a true 1000W RMS. I know I probably sound like I'm beating a dead horse on this one, but Dan had some pretty good arguments as to why he didn't feel the PE amps (500W and 1000W) amps could deliver their rated power.

Rob Bird

Agent
I'd sure like to hear them, actually. I'm kind of an amp junky...I bought my pass based on some discussions I had with nelson pass about the topology, and I've come to appreciate the amp very much as the unheralded hero of HT. It's amazing what a difference a good amp can make. I've been told that there are far fewer differences when they are class d designs, but that never seemed right. I certainly like the attention Adire (Dan?) has put into the preamp stage, caps and power supply.

BTW, Andrew, your site appears to have some invalid html on it. You can validate your html (which means it will render nicely in essentially any browser, like Firefox) by going here: http://validator.w3.org/
and entering in the address. Just a helpful little hint.

I'll read up on the BFD and LT items and see if they inspire me to go sealed :D. It sounds like I may need to investigate the BFD in any case!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I know there's some quirks with the code on it. Its one of those things that I just never seem to find the time to fix properly :b

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I've also heard, from a local loudspeaker rebuilder and designer, about the Parts Express 500w and 1000w amplifiers not delivering their rated power, and not sounding that good either.

Aaron Gilbert

Rob Bird

Agent
Any recommendations on some other amps to consider aside from the Adire? It looks great, I'd just feel bad if I didn't weigh all my options :)

michael.e

Grip

Im referring to the acoustic space that the loudspeaker is radiating into.

The loudspeaker and boundary,causes an acoustic image that looks like a mirror image of the loudspeaker location.

Also by placing your woofer in a corner,you will excite room modes maximally.If I was to do an HT setup(not music)id definately try nearfield sub usage as a table etc.

+0db 4pi no where near any boundarys
+3db 2pi on the ground
+6db 1pi against a wall
+9db 0.5pi in a corner

See JBL
.jblpro. com

# JBL Professional Sound System Design Manual - 1999 Edition (Pt.1) (945kB) The updated version of the acoustics reference manual by John Eargle (Part 1).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks