DIY SubWoofer Help for Large Room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Estabrook, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Steve Estabrook

Steve Estabrook Auditioning

I have been learning a lot the last couple of weeks from this forum about speaker building. This is my first post, any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for suggestions for a DIY sub plan. I have a large room that is not set up very well for home theater. It is open on one side and the back is also open. The house has an open floor plan with cathedral ceilings about 10 feet high.

I have Def Tech BP30's in the front and BP20's in the back with a 250 watt Carver Amp driving the mains. I have a 125 watt 10" Nuance Sub that does not do the job. I listen to both Rock and movies about 50/50 split. I like it loud at times!

I am considering building a ported design, SBB4 from Adire Audio with the Tempest driver and a 250 watt amp. I think that would give the extra punch I need.

I am experienced at cabinet making but not speaker design, so I would rather go with a proven design. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Steve, I built a sonosub Tempest and it's in a room with a 20' ceiling and openings into a hall and upstairs loft gameroom, so the environment is very large. It works great - shakes and rattles everything and drops jaws. Since you're wanting guidance, my strong advice is to download Adire's Tempest White Paper and use one of their designs. The plans are well executed and dimensioned, and acoustically accurately designed. You can't go wrong with their plans and your woodworking experience.
    Stop reading and go make some sawdust! [​IMG]

3. Steve Estabrook

Thanks for the advice. I guess that it is a sound driver and amp. The worst that could happen if I don't like it is build another design box. The box will not cost a lot. Your right. Just make some sawdust and try it out.

Thanks

Steve

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

I hear ya! My Dad is the real woodworker but I'm coming into my own over the last two years. Now that he's moved much closer to me we've got our woodshop set up and are ready to build some damn speakers! We've got 4 tablesaws (two tabletop/portable models), 4 routers, two drill presses, a biscuit jointer, a compound miter saw, a planer/joiner, several sanders, brad nailer and air compressor, etc.

Brian

5. Steve Estabrook

I guess it is what you are used to. The thought of designing a box, picking out the components etc. is a little intimidating. I can build anything to a blueprint.

Steve

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Steve,

Take it from a fellow cabinetmaker, speaker enclosures are a piece of cake compared to most areas of woodworking. Subs are a good way to start because they're, usually, pretty basic designs. Make a box, throw in a driver, and enjoy! When you get to wanting to make main speakers, it becomes a whole new ball game. I'm still stuck at building kits, but would someday love to "roll my own".

Anyway, good luck, have fun, and enjoy one of the best bang for your buck DIY hobbies!

Pete

7. Steve Estabrook

Pete,

I have seen some designs for main speakers that look awesome on the net. I would like to build some main speakers depending upon how my sub comes out. Your right, that is a whole new ballgame, however it looks like I can get all the help I need right here. Just will take a lot more reasearch than alot of the other guys. I will just take my time and do it right. I guess for us the cabinet is the easy part.

Steve

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

BTW, I highly recommend the Tempest. I'm currently using a 16 cu.ft. sealed twin Tempest and it sounds sweet. The Adire recipes have been used by many on this and other forums with great success. Keep in mind, you can make the enclosure any shape you want as long as the internal volume is the same. My experience has been the larger the enclosure, within reason, the better it will sound.

Pete