DIY sub with Car Audio driver? I know its been asked before.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jesse Sharrow, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have a 12" Infinity Perfect DVC sitting under my bed. It is an awsome driver, but its meant for car audio. Could I make a decent enclosure for it for home, till I can afford my SVS PC-Ultra? Get a decent plate amp. Nothing too powerful. I dont mind doing the work, just is it even worth it.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Bo...s/P12.1d_f.pdf

Thats the specs for it. Now it has sound wave charts, in and out of car. It doesnt look too bad out of car. Any suggestions? Becuase I could proably build a decent box or maybe even cylinder style sono tube for it. Is it worth it.

Maybe throw this amp onto it...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-808

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

It's a good driver.

Several people have used it in this box for HT/music.

4.24 cu ft box/tube, one port 4" dia 14.9" long, Fb 21.03Hz, F3 20.83Hz

Have fun,
    Thomas

3. Jesse Sharrow

Thats a huge box but I dont care. Now do you guys think this is worth it? Im thinking of blowing my sub and trading it for a single 4ohm... I have a 5yr on it. Now its going to be the DVQ so I may need different specs for it.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Ow...2012-2-02).pdf

I was going to use this amp. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-793 Now do you think this is a worthwhile endeavor? Will it give me good quality? Close to SVS quality? If not can what is a good home driver to use? Also what sort of wood should I make this out of?

4. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Grow up!

Do the right thing.

Build yourself a box.

Don't rip off HK.

In customer service as you are, don't you hate jerks?

Don't be one.

Enjoy your DIY sub, it may sound awesome!

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

[​IMG]

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Jesse,

Use some of the free software out there to "model" a nice box that you could build. The amp you are looking at is a good amp. If you feel that it might be a while before you pull the plug on your SVS purchase, you might consider spending a bit more $$ and get a pro audio amp. This could provide you with more power, two channels of amplified power and have more flexibility for future sub projects - if that's your interest.

Finally, using a car sub for home use can be an O.K. thing. Keep in mind that all car subs will not be perfect. However, those with parameters that match more closely to home use are.

With that being said, I'm working on a few "test" enclosures where I'm using a 10" car driver and shortly a 12" car driver. Also, keep in mind that the Adire Audio 12" Shiva driver has a very dedicated following for home theater users. But, there are plenty of car audio enthusiasts running this driver in the trunks of their cars, too. It's a "two-way" street - no pun intended. [​IMG]

Enjoy ! [​IMG]

7. Jesse Sharrow

Dennis.... um ok?!?!?!?

Wayne: I didnt think of that. I could always get a seperete pro audio amp, that way I could get an SS later on. [​IMG] Maybe thats the way I will do it. Thanks for the input.

Also where would I find a box building program. Because right now I am going to go off of the specs that Thomas gave me.

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

12" Infinity Perfect is a good driver for home use. The cab specs I posted are designed for optimal performance.

9. Jesse Sharrow

Well I acctually ended up getting store credit for the sub, so I bought my Boston Center Channel instead. This way I am just going to wait till I can afford the SVS. Thanks again guys.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You could by an Adire Tempest and a 250W plate amp for less than $300 and build a sub that will match an SVS Ultra for performance. Trade off being the enclosure will be 2-3 times as big.

11. Jesse Sharrow

Seriously? Have you heard an Ultra to compare that too? Becuase if that is true maybe it worth a shot.

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yes seriously. I haven't heard an Ultra personally, but technically from a raw output stand point they should be very close. From a sonic signature stand point I have no idea.

Although you have a lot of control with the Tempest on how it will sound by the alignment you choose.

13. Wayne Ernst

The tools to get are:

- LspCAD
    - WinISD

14. Wayne Ernst

Thomas,

Thanks for the recommendation on a driver. It's always good to know of such drivers to have access to, if needed.

Another such driver is the JBL GT120 - which I learned about from another forum member here, too. The specs are a bit close to that of the Shiva. The GT120 can be picked up for $45 ~ plus shipping from some vendors @ Yahoo! Shopping.

15. Jesse Sharrow

Well sonically accurate is what I want. I dont care too much about output. I want it very accurate.

16. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, Dustin is right about the Tempest vs the SVS Ultra. I used to have a Tempest in a Mid Q sealed box and a SVS Ultra.

I had them both hookup to each channel of the Samson S1000.

The frequency resp. charts for both are almost identical. The Tempest actually hit a hair lower than the Ultra.

At low to mid volumes (typical listening) the Tempest will play louder than the Ultra. The Ultra will catch up with the Tempest at extremely loud volume. I didn't really push them into clipping territory but had a feeling that the Ultra has more gas left in the tank than the Tempest.

I showed both Subs to my friend and eventually he bought the Tempest from me [​IMG]

If you decide to go with the Tempest my advice is to find something thicker than 3/4 inch for the sealed enclosure. This monster will vibrate the box quite a bit.

17. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Im thinking of blowing my sub and trading it for a single 4ohm... I have a 5yr on it.

*Shakes Head* [​IMG]

I guess everyone missed that part... Gee I want something
    better than what I have now.. I have a warranty on it..
    Maybe I should intentionally break it so the manufacturer
    replaces it....

Aside from mismanagement no wonder companies go bankrupt..

/Rant off