DIY sub. Water heater or Sonotube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harry Lincoln, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

I'll be starting a DIY subwoofer project(s) soon. I was planning on getting some sonotube but I was offered two 315 litre water heaters for free today. Which one would be better to use, I dont mind buying some sonotube if it wil give a better result. Im planning on using the Tempest driver.
    Harry.

2. Chris_Brunhaver

Hmm.. by water heater sub, I just thought that they meant their huge cylindrical sonotube sub looked like a water heater. Well, on the DIY bass list someone built one out of a keg shell, so I guess anything is possible.

3. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Ha Ha.. when I saw 'water heater sub' I assumed they were made out of water heaters! Anyone want 2 broken down water heaters? [​IMG]
    Harry.
    ------------------
    "You're too old fat man, and your tits are too big, get the f**k off my porch!"

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You actually could use a real water heater's casing for a subwoofer cabinet! You would want to remove the inner tank and other guts, add more insulation inside, and seal the openings where the pipes came through.
    Thus no need to throw away the used water heaters! If the inner tank is copper or nickel (rare) it could be sold to a scrap dealer for some honest money.
    "Water heater sub" means it looks like a water heater.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm