What's new

DIY Sub vs Commercial Sub (1 Viewer)

Chris Bone

Agent
Question?,

I am willing to spend around $3000.00 on a passive DIY subwoofer. Will this kind of money allow me to build something better than say the new SVS B4 plus? I am going to have a 4000 cubic ft dedicated home theater and want the best reference level low end I can get. Will three or four thousand dollars in the DIY stream get me far more than the commercial route? Remember,I am willing to spend this on the sub alone before any amplification.

Chris

Kevin_Johnson

Auditioning
I'm thinking dual Tumults as well. I'm also thinking how jealous I am. My whole setup didn't run that much, seriously.

Kevin

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Actually, my first thought was 3 Tumults. But a little more thinking and it occurred to me that this sounds like a PERFECT place to use a LAB Basshorn or two! ;)
Chris, you can do a search on this forum for the Basshorn as well as check out this site.
Once properly set up I have no doubt you'd be more than pleased. And it would come in WAY under your $3000 budget. Hell, for the money you could probably have a local shop build it for you...but where's the fun in that? :)
Drivers = $300 for a pair, $600 for 4drivers
Cabinets = figure on about $125 per cabinet.
You should be able to build one for well under a grand.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Brian,
Yeah, but I bet your design didn't look as funky in your head as mine did. ;) I like the Tumult, I really do, but I have issues with spending $500 on a driver when I can spend $600 and have enough drivers to make TWO Basshorns. Although, the Tumult's will no doubt be easier to build and probably a little more straight forward to set up. But then you're also looking at about 3200watts to power them. Fred Seger built one not too long ago. You can read the his post in the link but to sum up, he used roughly 500watts total power (2x250watt PE plate amps) and in the middle of a 120'x50'x20' shop he was hitting in the 120's. But I'm willing to bet it was higher than that as the RS meter only goes to 126db. ;)
So two Basshorns, corner loaded with flare extensions...1000watts a per cabinet? Sounds fun to me.
Of course, if taking up floor space is an issue then perhaps IB could be the way to go?
Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread