DIY sub questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_meistro, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Nick_meistro

Nick_meistro Auditioning

ok....im new to the whole DIY thing...but i have some pretty interesting ideas and i want to see if any of them will work. I also have plenty of wood building experence and materials...so most of my questions will be about the eletronics side of it. ok...
    1) what is the difference between car stereo subwoofers/amps and h.t. sub's and amps? would it be possible to use car stereo subs to make a (good) h.t. sub? i can get two (2) 10-inch subs of a respectable name (pioneer, lightning audio, etc.) for well under $100. amps are cheap too....but am i just wasting my time? which brings me to question...
    2) what is the best source for purchase of drivers and equipment...(wire, crossovers, amps...) and...
    3) what are the best types of woods to use for enclosures? i have access to all kinds of hard and soft woods...
    ~thanks for the help...if I start a project I'll get pictures up for ya~

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Car subs count on major cabin gain. A room in a house won't have this level of gain. As a result they usually have Q values and Fs values too high to work well in a home situation. There are a few exceptions (Pioneer and Lightning Audio not being them).

For instance the Lightning Audio S3.12.4 has a QTS of 0.65, too high, Fs of 32hz again too high and only 0.75L of Vd. A single $125 Dayton DVC15" driver has more than 3 times that much Vd and much better Qts and Fs specs (in other words three of the Lightning subs couldn't match that one Dayton above 35hz and it wouldn't matter how many you had they couldn't match it below 35hz). And Parts Expresses 300-794 amp is on sale now for something like $120 right now and is a perfect match for the DVC15".

The amps will be annoying to plug into house power outlets and are designed to run very low ohm loads. There are plenty of very cheap high quality plate and pro amps out there that are betteer suited for a home sub.

The cheapest and yet good material for subs is MDF. Much more expensive and better are marine grade void free plywoods such as baltic birch (but costs around 3 times as much as MDF). Soft and hard woods are not advised.

3. Nick_meistro

Nick_meistro Auditioning

thanks!

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oh, and I forgot. Whether MDF or Baltic Birch don't forget to heavily brace the cabinet. Check out Adire's reference designs to get an idea of what is needed for bracing.