DIY Sub or SVS or HSU for aruond 650?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Wooten, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Hello all..

I need all the help I can get I looking for a 50/50 subwoofer to go along with my Ed Frias DYI speakers. Maybe a little more HT because my speakers go down to 50hz. I was going to get the Vance Dickasin Titanic but I was afraid it wasn't going to be powerfull enough as well as the extension. BTW I like Bass alot. So after I decided against the Vance sub I thought about getting the HSU TN1220 or the SVS 20-52 or 46 PCI not sure exactly. I'm still undecided on which of those two to get. It has been my experience that you get more for your money with DIY and who isn't happy with that. I just don't know where to begin on DIY subs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Shane

2. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

If Everyone here aggrees after reading more information on this site I'm looking twords the Sonotube. Unless you think the others (HSU, SVS) could preform just as well. Does anyone create any kits for the Tube. I'm more loooking for a finished sonotube enclosure then anything else

Thanks again,
    Shane

3. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

If you really like Hsu subwoofers, I think you can purchase the driver from Hsu and build the tube yourself. Other drivers to consider would be the Adire Audio Shiva and the Parts Express DVC 12".

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you really like bass look at the Adire Tempest or Stryke AV15. The enclosure will be big, but you'll have loads of bass (good bass too).

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

If size and appearance is not a factor then definitely go for a Sonotube. You will get the most boom for your buck that way. If those are important factors then I would recommend the Adire Tempest. A vented enclosure will result in the best extension although a much taller cabinet. I built a sealed Tempest because I didn't want an obtrusive sub in the room. It's a compromise as I don't get the bass extension that I wouldv'e gotten with the vented enclosure. Check out the pics.
    http://home.attbi.com/~tim4man/wsb/h...ome.html-.html

6. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Thanks for all the help.. I decided to go dual strike 12's. In the table type enclosure afford at acoustic-visions. I just don't have the tools right now to build my own. Besides I'm more a electronics guy then wood guy. Do you think this is a good move?? Or would you recommend somthing else? Also how do you believe the music quality will be out of an ported or enclosed enclosure?

Thanks,
    Shane

7. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Typically, a sealed enclosure produces what most people call "musical" bass in that it's tight and accurate. There are other factors though such as room size and acoustics, the type of music you listen to, and most of all, personal taste. With Classical or Jazz you want nice tight bass, but with rock, techno or hip-hop you may want the more "in-your-face" bass that you get from a large vented enclosure. In HT most people prefer vented enclosures.