DIY Sub Information

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jarett, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,
    I am looking into building my own subwoofer, maybe sonotube. I live in Canada and need a canadian supplier of parts if available. I was wondering where I can find the very basics of how a subwoofer works and the key components, i'm not sure what all this frequency stuff is and i'd love to know. Also any info on the exact components needed and what they do would be great!

Thanks a bunch,

Jay

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Creative Sound Solutions is located in Canada. http://www.creativesound.ca

They also have a sonotube subwoofer kit.

For a subwoofer you need an enclosure, a plate amplifier, and a driver. Since you're new to this, the fact that CSS provides an enclosure is good for you becasue you'll wind up with something that you know is good.

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I bought my sub from them. That sonosub looks like a great deal. I suggest going with a kit for a first timer. You will learn a lot and be garanteed of good results. Check out www.diysubwoofers.org to get your learn on.

4. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info,
    Just to let you know, I have full access to power tools and a very skilled woodworking father so I wouldn't mind being indulged into something a little more then beginner level, I just need to know what the relative terms mean and how they relate to the operation of the sub. Thanks guys.

Jay

5. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

There are lots of resources on the web that will give you an idea of what you need to know to build your own subwoofer. Start with www.diysubwoofers.org and download WinISD.

6. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,
    Thanks a ton for the replies, and i have another question, most likely not my last. I've pretty much decided on the SHIVA kit from creativesound.ca, but I am wondering what you do for amplification, can u just hook it straight up to your a/v reciever, or do I go through another amp? The creativesounds website has two kits available for the shiva sonotube, one with a base kit and one with everything as the other plus an amp box or something? What is this amp box and what is nessesary? Also, is 400$ worth it for a shiva sonotube? What type of performance can it give? Thanks a ton all.

Jay

7. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Dont forget, that does not include the amp!!

Buying the kit, you can not go wrong. You would not be able to touch the output you are gonna get from the kit out of a store bought unit for the same money, but why not go ahead & start out with a Tempest.. [​IMG]
    I know, I know,.....only a Shiva kit, not a Tempest kit!!

Thats why this is D.I.Y. [​IMG]

8. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

With the Tempest you do get more for the money but it needs a big box to breathe. You can check out the DIY plans for sealed and ported Tempests and Shivas at www.adireaudio.com . The 360W plate amps are a good deal at CSS. That would be more than enough power for a ported Shiva or Tempest but a receiver wont be able to handle the high current these things.

9. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    Thanks again guys,
    I do like the idea of a kit but if I was to go with the tempest where would I get the sonotube? Also, I am in the process of finishes up my Flexy rack and I have painted it. The paint is being a pain. I put one coat of oil based primer and 2 coats of Dutch Boy Latex paint over it, it looks great but seems very soft and can be pulled off semi-easily, any ideas why? Thanks for your help and any more DIY sub suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks,

Jay

P.S. Woah! that amp is like 270 bucks!! with shipping thats like a 700 sub, including the kit! I mean yikes lol but maybe i can find a way to do it cheaper without a kit eh...well Keep the suggestions rolling

10. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

It is cheaper if you build your own box enclosure, sonotube is expensive. You would have to go to a contractor. Dont skimp on the amp though, it doesn't have to be that one but it should be able to do 250 W into 4 ohms. The sub will cost several hundred but it is worth it. Check out these ported designs for the Tempest. Hundreds of people have built them and they are very well designed.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Vent...plications.PDF

http://adireaudio.com/TextPages/AppN...eFrameText.htm

11. RodN

RodN Stunt Coordinator

If I could just support what Graham has said. If woodworking is not an issue for you then correct engineering/design of the electrical components is (i.e not knowing 'what this frequency stuff is') would mean that a 'pure kit' (just instructions) would solve this problem. This would lead me to agree with Graham in that you should have a look at Adire audio's kit instructions. The whitepapers are all there, all you need is the woodworking skills and the money for the individual parts. This would also minimise your costs which you have mentioned to be on your mind. Your father can add some flair to the woodworking of the box with different edges, legs, finish etc.

12. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys,
    Once again, very well said...maybe a box is the best way to go. I'll keep looking and let me know if u have anymore advice. Also, compared to the shiva how much better is the tempest? Thanks,

Jay

13. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Jarett, I went with the Tempest and AVA250 amp from CSS and built my own box (follow the link in my sig for pics) and I'm VERY happy I stepped up from the Shiva. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its a fantastic driver, but size wasn't an issue for me, just output and cost. The Tempest is only a little more, but gives you some more oomph. I think mine cost around $700.00CDN after everything, including finishing.

14. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    Ya that sounds good...
    I have a very old pioneer SX-6 stereo reciever, would this work as an amplifier for a tempest or shiva?? thanks,

Jay

15. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

If I were you i'd just buy the Tempest and 360W amp from Creative Sound and get everything else locally. Thats like C$450 + probably C$100 for box materials, etc. I'd say you could get everything together for less than C$600 pretty easily.

16. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

You could try the Pioneer, but I think you would eventually upgrade anyway, and one of the biggest advantages of a plate amp (in my opinion) is the phase control. That made a HUGE difference when I was setting up my sub in my room. I just checked CSS and I would go with the 250/360w amp (sub250r), like Jason recommended. It's more than enough to shake the plumbing in my walls with the Tempest. You won't need to upgrade it down the line.

You might be able to get away with the 100w amp, but I don't like that 6dB bass boost at 35Hz in the cheaper version, so you'd have to move up to the more expensive one which leaves like a $50 difference to move up to the 250w amp which is very much worth it. So, in my long winded way, I'm saying stick with the bigger amp. [​IMG]

17. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    Thanks for the advice, the big amps sounds great but i am soooo low on money so any little bit helps....i was at my local pawn shop today and they have "car" woofers, they look real nice...and better yet super cheap, woud these work??

Thanks,

Jay

18. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

They will "work" as in move air but they are not designed for HT use. The Shiva, Tempest, PE drivers, and Stryke drivers are all very reasonably priced and designed for HT use and will work better for that application than equivalently priced car drivers. If money is that much of a concern, build the sub and then save up for a better amp.

19. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Ya thats what i figured...its just for 30 bucks i mean holy shnizer! lol

20. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

You get what you pay for.