What's new

DIY sub advice (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently having my home renovated and am planning to move in early next year. I'm starting to think of the HT aspect and will probably go with a DIY sub. Here are some pertinent factors:
1. The HT will be in a room around 15'x30' with cathedral ceilings. Part of the back wall opens up to the bedroom. Walls are plaster, ceiling is wood. Floor is hardwood with some area rugs.
2. Main speakers are JMLab 920.1. Three-way design with 10" woofer. Can go down to 32hz.
3. I'm integrating my stereo system (tube amp/separate CD player) into the HT. I listen to a mix of HT and music (classical/jazz)
I live overseas and the only subs available here that may fit the bill are the Velodyne VLF-1012 http://www.velodyne.com/pages/productsp/vlf_series.html and some from REL although the REL's are very expensive.
An alternative would be to go DIY with stuff from Adire or Parts Express. I have some competent cabinet makers working on the house so I would rather source the wood/MDF here. What I need are suggestions for enclosure designs, drivers and amps. Size isn't a big problem but I would like to keep the budget to around $500 (for driver and amp).

A

Anthony_Gomez

as I posted at the Mad board, the Tempest is what you need =)

(mentioned at MAD: 95%music/5% movies)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
After reading up on the Tempest I'm pretty convinced it's the way to go. I was thinking of using an Adire Alignment--but with a twist. I was thinking of laying the design on it's side and putting a nice granite top on it and using it as a low table.

Any pros/cons on the Adire Alignment?? What about my idea of putting it on its side??

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On its side should be okay, as long as you don't obstruct the port opening, or fire the driver into the wall in close proximity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks