DIY SUB - Adire Audio Tempest or Dayton DVC Sub ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler, May 13, 2001.

1. Tyler

Tyler Stunt Coordinator

What subwoofer driver is better for home theater and what driver will go louder ?
    The ADIRE AUDIO TEMPEST OR THE PARTS EXPRESS DAYTON 15" DVC SUBWOOFER ?

2. kevin oswald

kevin oswald Agent

They will all go loud. What size enclosure are you looking at building. Do you want to try to keep it small? If so the Mass 2012 from mobileaudio is a good choice. If not the tempest would be a great choice. There is no clear cut answer.
    ..Kevin

3. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

the two (tempest, and dayton) are very close in ts specs, and should perform an about par with each other. i chose a pair of tempests for myself and have been completly satisfied.
    that said, we realy do need more information to help you choose a driver if your still early in your decision process. whats your budget, and as mentioned above do you have any size restrictions?
    there are always trade offs, the audiomobile mass 2012 is an excelant 12" driver, working well in small enclosures. but it aint cheap. as i recall you can buy two shiva 12"'s for one mass 12. OTOH, the two shivas need several cubic feet of box to sound their best.
    the tempests were the best combination of price/performance to fit my needs.
    heres a link, youl see the first two projects are functionaly very similar, and one uses the tempest, the other the dayton.
    http://klone-audio.virtualave.net/page100.html
    good luck in your quest.
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)