DIY Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_M_S, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent

Well, figured out the reciever i'll be getting, the H/K avr320, with no plans for a amp anytime soon. now, time for the speakers. i'll be building my own. just new a few suggestions form ya all if possible.
    i want plenty of bass, so i know for the sub, temptest, but not sure what i'll do with the towers. i'd like to go with a 12 in each tower, but not sure really how much this would be better over just 10 in each tower. how much of an upgrade is it to go from 12 to 10 inch speakers?
    [​IMG]
    brandon

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Brandon, if you plan on a Tempest based sub I wouldn't worry about the mains bass capabilities to much.
    I also strongly advice you stick to kits for the speakers. Crossover design isn't something you can just slap together. It takes a fair chunk of knowledge, some good measurement equipment and some good experience to select appropriate drivers, design an appropriate baffel layout and design a good crossover network.
    Look into Adire's kit offerings (281, 81, HE10.1 and 12.1). GR-Research (AV1+, AV3). Madisound has some good kits but a lot of them are a little expensive.
    Do a search on the Audax Hometheater kit. It's a decent free design.
    If non of those float your boat check out this site:
    http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/sect-16.php3
    Lists just about every speaker kit under the sun.

3. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent

as far as the xover, i'm hoping i can get help from a guy i know on another forum, need to talk to him some more, he's getting his own measure equipment, hoping i can make a donation. [​IMG]
    decided i'll go with 10s in each towers. now i'm wonderin what advatange their is with goin with two of any speakers in a tower. i'm thinking just a basic set up, 10, 6.5, and tweeter. any advatage in doin dual 10 or dual 6.5s?
    [​IMG]
    brandon

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

5. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you haven't already, I'd pick up a book at least on the subject of speaker building. Just building a box and slapping some speakers in, with any old crossover is not the way to get decent sounding speakers, there are a LOT of things to consider - enclosure size, type, material, shape, driver spacing, tuning (to the drivers in question), sealed or vented, etc... and that is just the enclosure. Driver selection and x-over design will greatly affect the end result as well.
    An already designed kit takes the guess work out of the equation.

7. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent

[​IMG] um.....box shape and drive spacing affect output? [​IMG] i'm curious, explain please? box size, type, material and stuff i know from my car audio experience, its mostly who are good home audio speaker companys and xover design.
    [​IMG]
    brandon

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I suggest you pick up this book and give it a read through:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15363&DID=7
    Once you know what you are doing and have the right measurement equipment, designing a good speaker isn't all that difficult. But learning what you are doing is no trivial exercise.

9. Brandon_M_S

Brandon_M_S Agent

dere.....you can't just do a quick and simple run down rather then me ordering a $30 book and reading it? i honestly never head of the speaker box/cabinet affecting sound. a buddy of mine does have it, say's its interesting reading though, and some interesting theory/concepts in there.
    [​IMG]
    brandon

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    An excelent book, and I strongly second the recommendation also (this was the book I had in mind when I made that statement). This book is not theory, it is experience. Borrow it from your friend to get an idea at least. Order a catalog from partsexpress if you will be doing DIY for sure, because they have a ton of useful stuff in the catalog, and they will carry every thing you will need to do this on your own (madisound also).
    What really matters is what you want to end up with. Quick and dirty will give you sound, but if you are looking for quality sound, even experienced speaker builders have to do some trial and error to get a design from scratch to work well. The number of factors to consider to end up with a good speaker is utterly staggering, otherwise every Joe Schmoe would be building speakers today, don't you think? I'm not picking on you, just trying to help you out, because I've been there, and based on the info I hear from Dustin's posts, he has also.
    Car audio and home audio are fairly different, in a number of ways. I started with a car audio background too...[​IMG] It is not quite as easy to build home speakers as it is for cars, if you are looking for quality of sound.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

If you'd like a high quality tower kit that's under $200 I'd buy this kit from Sound Clearing House. I just finished a pair of these yesterday and must say that they sound better than anything is this price range has a right to! It uses one of the best 8" drivers I've ever seen for anything other than bass frequencies and seems to have great midrange capabilities as well. And the speaker has an F3 in the upper to mid 20's too!
    This is just a first impression as they haven't fully broken in yet obviously, but so far I'd easily put them up against just about any tower in the $1K range. They seem to have great dynamics; making them a great HT/party as well as music speaker.
    Brian