DIY Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoelTaylor, Jul 27, 2003.

1. JoelTaylor

JoelTaylor Auditioning

I'm a home theatre enthusiast with a good knowledge of main stream products available eg Polk, JVC, JBL, onkyo etc. But I am embarking on a mission to build my own speaker system. I have a limited knowledge of electronics and accoustics but understand EQ and stuff (a bit of sound engineering exp.) Where should I start? Have been doing a bit of research but can't find a lot on it. Been looking at Adire drivers but I need to know how to match the box with the drivers etc. Any suggestions, web sites etc. that would help would be great. Thanks for your time.

Joel

2. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Joel,

If you do a search in this forum you will turn up lots of threads.

I would suggest (and this is what I did) that you start your first project building a kit. For that search on GR Research Av-1, SCH or Sound Clearing House, Adire 281, etc. there are lots.

Then you could build from scratch someone else's proven design- I'm doing that with the MBOW1's from Dennis Murphy's site

Then you could get into designing your own crossovers to specific drivers, etc. But you need to put some time in reading these forums, and maybe Vance Dickenson's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook.

Hope that helps-

Wes

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Wes is correct. Build someone else's design first. Even something easy like one of the ELF 1.5 from Creative Sound. My first one was the ported Adire 281 which wasn't too difficult but does ask that you have some woodworking experience. The crossover was already assembled so soldering was minimal. I also agree with Wes up to the point of recommending the Cookbook. Most certainly, read, read, read. Everything you can get your hands on but wait on the Cookbook. A good starting point is The Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual by David Weems. Then read the Cookbook.

5. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest the Audax Home Theater System designed by Joseph D’Appolito. I have completed the center channel and I am very pleased with it. I am still building the left and right speakers. Here is a write-up on the center channel.

6. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Funny, that looks strikingly similar to this one.