DIY Speakers, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertSchaez, May 9, 2002.

1. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to all this and was wondering how to pick the right sounding kit for my budget, since I obviously can't listen to them first. Budget is about the cost of B&W 600 series. Actually, that is the sound I'm looking for, just better bass control and nicer cabinets.
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Check out Zalytron.com, Speakercity.com, Madisound.com, and GRReasearch.com, they all have kits that for about the price of a B&W 600 series (~600) will knock them out of the room, as well as have nicer cabinets. I, for one, have never been impressed with the 600 series, but the CDM and Nautilus line are a whole different beast.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

4. chung_sotheby

Yup, you're right. My b

5. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Actually Phil, I believe the Sapphire III enclosure is very difficult if you're not experienced. The baffle is designed with an ~14 degree upwards tilt to compensate for the woofer tweeter alignment.
    Danny Richie explains woofer/tweeter alignment a little in this email he sent me coresponding to his original(old) AV1 and Dennis Murphy's MB1/(SPCA special) and why he recommended running them upside-down.

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

As long as you can get the angle right on the front of the top and bottom pieces of the enclosure you can cut the front oversized and trim off the extra. It's not as easy as I make it out to be (I've never done it myself), but it can be done.

I did help a friend build the Jags though! He used lots of sanding and bondo to fill any gaps before he added any type of finish.

Brian

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

May as well start making speaker enclosures out of adobe clay. [​IMG] Anyone remember "The Adobe" car commercial spoof on Saturday Night Live a long time ago (when the Yugo was first introduced)? Whenever someone ran into something with The Adobe, the driver would get out of the car, and just mold it back into shape.

10. chung_sotheby

Yeah, that was hilarious. I had the Saturday Night Live commmercial special on a VHS, but I lost the tape. One of the greatest compilations ever. Colon clean, Schmitts Gay, the Adobe clay car, the Obsession perfume knockoff ("from Calvin Clean"), the sixth finger-off potion, Hibernol, etc. I think that one way that manufacturers also compensate for driver center alignment is to mount a seperate tweeter enclosure on top of the woofer enclosure, kind of like what B&W, Diva and Norh do. Sometimes, if done well, this could make a very attractive cabinet.

11. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

The Adobe Car was great!!! Everytime they got out of the car they had clay all over them. Good memories. I have that tape somewhere around here, looks like I may have to go digging for it.