DIY speakers to use with ASL Wave tube amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by charles_w, Mar 1, 2002.

1. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to build a pair of speakers and power them with the wave tube amps. I'm currently considering the Adire HE10.1's and looking for other options. Any other suggestions?

Lee

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Lee--I never heard the Adires but people who's ears I trust in the horn community say it's pretty good, a small horn speaker is better than no horn speaker. If you can use a large speaker consider building an Altec 2-way with a vented 15" 416 woofer and the 802 or 902 compression driver on the 511B horn, crossover at 500hz. This will be more efficient then the Adires, with low-powered amps you need all the efficiency you can get. And of course such a speaker will be far more dynamic than the Adires. I use my Wave 8s in a bi-amped rig (real bi-amping), they work from 800hz up driving JBL compression drivers on Edgar saladbowl horns, efficiency is 110db 1w1m. You can get lots of ideas on DIY high-efficiency speakers from the fellas at the high-efficiency forum at www.audioasylum.com

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I built the GR Research Paradox 1 and used it with a demo pair of Waves for a week, and I found thw combination to play quite loud. The Paradox is a $500 2-way monitor. 88dB, so on paper things are quite marginal, but the 7.2 ohm minimum impedance seems to please the Waves. www.gr-research.com is the website, and there's plenty of discussion over at Audio Asylum. Another thread on this board has some talk about these speakers too.