What's new

diy speakers queston. (1 Viewer)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i was looking over a list of kits for a 2 way tower. i fond a few i liked. i was wondering how to make a center out of them?

the North Creek Rhythm look like a prety nice speaker.

if i made a center out of theis i could just move the speakers to the center of the box?

but how would i turn theis in to a bi polar suround?

would you recomend a kit that is about the same price? i want to buld the xo and the box.

thanks
bryan

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,

If you are looking to build a center channel, the first thing to consider is matching the rest of your speakers. It is important to get the same "timbre" between all your speakers, especially the 3 fronts. Basically this means that all the speakers will have the same or a similar sound, so that sounds that pan around will be smooth and not sound disjointed. Another thing to consider is that many times doing something as drastic as moving the drivers to the middle and flipping a design on it's side can have big impacts on the sound quality and dispersion abilities, meaning that it may only sound good if you sit right in the middle, rather then out towards the sides as well.

If you already have mains like you are implying, then I suggest trying to find kits that would sound similar or go with speakers from the same manufacturer. Alternatively you could sell the mains and plan on building a system that has surround sound in mind.

For example, if you wanted to go with North Creek (which by all accounts are fantastic speakers) then you are probably best off building some rhythm or borealis mains, picking up a vision center, and then doing something smaller like the okara(sp?) for the rears. I am hoping to build some Rhythms over the summer and that is my eventual plans for an upgrade path. That being said, I haven't seen many kits that have bipole designs for the rears, but there may be some out there.

Overall I think my main point is to think of the speakers as a total system rather than individual components, you will get higher quality sound as a result.

Cheers!

George

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have a polk audio setup and want to upgrade. and i want to buld them my self.

my setup consists of

adcom7607 7channel 125 per channel@8ohms
rotel 1066 pre
i would like a real nice speaker to match the quality of the pre pro.

the north creek look like a very nice setup

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,

With a great amp and pre like that I think you are best off going for an entirely new system speakers wise. Once you build a good center channel you will probably be wanting to upgrade the others to match the quality. However, there's certainly nothing wrong with starting off with a center channel. Some good ones to look at are:

North Creek Vision Center
GR research Av1+ or criterion
Adire LCC center channel

Any of these brands sell additional speaker kits that could be used to outfit an entire surround system. I have an all Adire system with a sub myself and it sounds great. I'm probably going to try and sell it though just because I've got the urge to do some more building. If I'm lucky maybe I can get enough to build a pair of Rhythms, but we'll see. Anyway all of those companies make good speakers depending on your budget and I would guess would be an upgrade from the Polks.

Good luck with your quest!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks