DIY speaker wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Filipe Sa, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Filipe Sa

Filipe Sa Auditioning

May 8, 2002
    I finished my diy speaker cables for my AV system
    They are Fine Silver (round) 16 AWG.
    After a few days of burn in...they seem to sound very bright.
    I dont like their sound and my older Cable Talk 4.1 sounded a lot better...
    What i did rong? The cables are fine silver with Teflon insulating tubing.
    They dont seem to show any image...
  2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Make sure you hooked up the speakers with the same polarity (otherwise, with speakers connected out of phase with one another will produce an incoherent image between the 2 speakers).
  3. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

Apr 11, 2002
    Silver as a reputation for being much brighter than copper, so its is possible that you are just hearing that phenomenon. Also you don't get into the configuration details. Are you using twisted pairs of conductors?

I can't say I know of any manufacturers who use 16 gauge SOLID gauge wires, due to problems with skin effect -- where the bass and high frequencies travel through the cable with different speeds. Also, you may want to keep other things in mind, the silver may be tarnished. The black stuff or tarnish, on the surface of a conductor is a very poor conductor -- its not silver oxide which is a good conductor but silver sulfide, which isn't. Now with fine silver (I assume its at least 99.9% pure) it is unlikely to be tarnished but it can't be ruled out without further info. Note if the wire easily tarnishes, its most likely sterling silver rather than fine silver.

Also keep in mind that soft annealing the silver reportedly improves its sound and that thinner gauges would be better suited for reducing skin effect -- which could help imaging.