DIY Speaker Stands

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dom P., Feb 3, 2003.

1. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

I know this is a very, very simple project, but I'm still looking for any tips that the experienced may have for me.

I will be building one pair of speakers stands to place my rears on. My rears are appx 8.5 in X 9 in and appx 22 in tall.

I need the stands to be at least 32 inches tall so the speakers will be higher than the furniture they will be placed behind.

I'm considering using 16in cirlces for the bases and 12 inch circles for the tops.

Any tips?? Anything I should consider??

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just make sure you have a low center of gravity to avoid tip-overs.

3. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

I will, thanks. That's part of the reason for using the larger base vs. the smaller top. I will also make sure to add a bit of weight to the lower part of the stands.

Any ways to "fasten" the speaker to the stands??

4. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Dom - couple of ideas. I too one time built a set of 42" stands for my surrounds. I am in a new house now, and no longer use them (I use wall mounts now).

I did 12"X12" base, and used two pieces of 3/4" mdf, glued together, with a nice trim all around. This gave it the low center of gravity needed. I basically took my measuring tape to a store and took down the measurements on a Sanus stand I liked, and modified it to my needed height (and the extra piece of mdf on the base).

If I had it to do over again, I'd build one that could be sand or lead filled.

As for mounting the speaker, you can use blu-tack, or velcro.

Good luck.

5. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Jay

Any thoughts on a square base vs. a circular base?

6. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

No real thoughts on the circular base except that I like the sleek lines of the square speaker on a square stand. My tastes probably wouldn't like a square box on a round stand, but that's what personal tastes/preferences are all about. I've heard of people using decorative concrete planter stands that you find at garden centers (similar to what a bust/statue might be placed on)which are roundish or octagonal, and they like it very much.

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

#1 consideration: If there will be small children or pets around them, then use hollow posts and fill them with lead shot or sand, and make the bases from double 3/4" MDF or metal. Or, use the concrete pillars already suggested. Also, bolt the speakers to the platforms. You could use threaded inserts in the bottom of the speakers.

8. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I built a pair of MDF stands this past summer and just use some of those rubber sticky-feet to keep the speaker in place. It works well for me, but there are no little kids zooming around my place either. You can take a look at them on my site at http://www.geocities.com/needfiles1/ under the HT page. By the way, these ones are pretty darn stable with the toed in/out vertical supports and a slightly larger base.

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Mine are identical to Owens, but I stained the Pine with a Cherry finish and then put several coats of polly on them. They turned out great and match everything nicely. I need to update all my pics, but one can be seen here

10. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I've got a female friend who bought a Yamaha HTiB with those four cute widdle speakers.

She also has a pair of cute widdle cats.

I've made a set of stands with 12" MDF bases, and then regular 1/2" pipe screwed into those wall-mount dealies, with velcro on the top to hold the speaks. They're gonna get sanded, primered, and painted black, and probably won't look all that "cheap" when I get through with 'em - may stick a layer of epoxy coating on 'em too... Gotta remember to go by the fitness store, and buy some plates to go on the bottom.