DIY Speaker Stands... Any successful tightwad ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Gates, Jul 24, 2001.

1. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Greetings fellow HTF'ers!
    I'm a self-admitted tightwad. I look for the best performance for the least price (I recently bought the nOrh 4.0 video package and two SVS B-stock 20-39's because I felt after much research that these were OUTSTANDING price for performance offers).
    Now, I need 4 good stands for the nOrh 4.0's. I'm thinking of building these myself. I'd like some feedback on my ideas and as many of YOUR ideas as you can shell out. :)
    My objectives are to stay below $40 each, very functional and stable, about 28-30" high, and nice to look at.
    My ideas so far:
    #1) Buy a column used for interior carpentry (the wood kind that are shaped like a marble column). Cut into 4 pieces and buy 4 end caps and tops. Fill with sand and put a base and top on (maybe a piece of marble floor tile).
    #2) Buy 4 bird bath bases (come in a variety of styles and are usually made out of concrete). Paint and glue a base on the top. Could also use those stands that the "garden globes" sit on.
    #3) Buy 4 of those plaster columns that people put plants on. Fill with sand and plug. Paint with some kind of antiquing paint. Put a marble tile on top.
    #4) Buy 4 29" bar stools (non-rotating type) from Home Depot. Find some way to make them a little more bottom-heavy and stable. Ideas? This is probably the worst-looking option.
    #5) Build some shelves for the sidewalls and place the speakers on shelves. This is the cheapest but least flexible option since I'd be really limited on speaker placement.
    Any ideas?
    What have you guys done?
    Thanks in advance!
    John
    ------------------

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

#6) Stack 3 plastic milk crates on top of each other and be really careful to never touch them (also make sure there are no A/C registers blowing directly on them).

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The first time I saw the plaster columns, my first thought was "unique cheap speaker stand". I decided against it, as too "Martha Stewart", and not really original enough.
    Considered using some sort of sand filled PVC or CPVC glued together contraption with a stand on top. Too "cynder block industrial". Could glue sheet PVC to PCV pipe and paint them, but sheet is not cheap, and you end up with way more than you will ever find a use for. PVC outgasses also.
    A few large diameter dowels and two pieces of wood (and/or MDF, or tile as you said) screwed together to make a base and pedastal would work. Then you could make them whatever height you like and paint them any color/texture. You can also put floor spikes on the bottom.
    Have a local machine shop bend up some steel bar or tubing, or buy some raw tube stock and a tubing bender and DIY. This is something that I may do in the near future.
    What's wrong with the shelves idea? Just build/buy small ones.
    My best idea, I will keep to myself until it is patented and I can start selling them.... [​IMG]
    After all the ideas, I ended up getting Paradigm S-30 stands. (go to their website and look at Premier stands) Only problem is, they cannot be filled, but they are simple and functional. Not height adjustable though.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on July 24, 2001 at 01:55 PM]

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

UPDATE!
    I went down to Garden Ridge last night. They currently have a 30% off (already cheap prices) on all finished and unfinished plaster. I bought 5 plaster columns of varying heights, unfinished, for about $50 TOTAL.
    These look awesome (will look better when painted). They have a hole in the bottom, so I could fill them with sand and plug the hole if I wanted to, but they are PLENTY heavy already. I watched TS2 last night, and there was no hint of resonance. Overall, I would recommend this idea to anyone looking for classy-looking, el-cheapo sepaker stands.
    I'll post pics later after I have painted these (probably next week sometime).
    John
    ------------------

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I hope to start my DIY speaker stands this weekend (dawdled enough). 2 layers of MDF glued together for the base. I was able to apply a 3/4" roundover to the 4 edges of each layer (One layer is 15"x15", the other layer is 12"x13"). I did this for the top layer as well. For the vertical supports, I'm using leftover 4" wide PVC pipe and 6" wide PVC pipe. I'll use 2 of the 4" wide pipes on the back, and one of the 6" wide pipes in front of them. Should look different, just hope they will be functional.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

6. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I made my M 7.0 stands out of sandstone. A top and a bottom plate, and a centre column. Got the sandstone from a local monumentalist.
    They cost me $AU100 (US$50) for both, plus about 3hrs of my time.
    They weigh ~52kg each, and are a pain in the arse to move..