DIY Speaker Kits?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Just curious, I've heard of DIY kits before, and I'm looking to get some high quality front mains, but don't want to spend too much...are there some DIY kits that would be good quality speakers and not too much $$$? Thanks.

2. Dave_VanA

Dave_VanA Auditioning

3. Whitney B.

Whitney B. Auditioning

check out www.adireaudio.com they have some amazing speakers. I have their LCC center channel which is a 3way center that uses 2 eight inch drivers for it's midbass. $250. The kit 281s are a good two way main setup but i'm waiting for them to release a three way tower. I emailed dan the president and he said they are coming out with one this spring. check them out and do a search for adire on the diy page.

4. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Go to www.audioreview.com. Scroll down to the "Tweaks, Mods, & DIY" forum. Read the reviews & look at the pics of the Ed Frias DIY set. This is definitely a set worth checking out.

I have dealt with Ed on speakers before. He modified the crossovers on my BIC speakers. He is a class act. He offers up his DIY design for free on the AR site, and lists out the parts (which are available from Madisound).

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to DIY/Advanced area.

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Best value kits I've found: http://www.speakerpage.com
    I've built several of their monitors, a center channel and towers. Nice guys to work with also.

7. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I just finished building a pair of the SCH K05B50 kits from www.speakerpage.com and I love them. I currently using them for my computer and they have definitely made my gaming and music experience so much better. They do need a sub but their lack of bass is made up for by their midbass and imaging. Truely amazing. I highly doubt you could find something of that quality for a better price.

9. BrandonB

BrandonB Agent

Tim, that sealed box/table looks GREAT!! The towers do as well, but I'm looking for sub box ideas presently. Did you lay an insert on the top of that table? Nice touch with the quarter round on the edges too! Did you use use the Adire deisgn for the Shiva Sealed Box?

10. BrandonB

BrandonB Agent

Dual post

11. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

I second the A/R DIYs (you can follow the link in my sig for more info). A speaker is more than the sum of its parts. The most important thing is the crossover and ED did a first rate job. The A/Rs simply sing! [​IMG]

12. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Brandon,
    The sub is a slightly modified MidQ Sealed Tempest design from Adire. The interior volume was maintained to Adire specs. I used a 3/4" marine grade oak plywood with solid oak for the corners. It's accepted that 3/4" MDF is the preferred material but I wanted an oak finish without having to deal with veneers. The interior bracing was made with 3/4" MDF. The top was constructed using the same plywood fit into the opening with solid oak trim for the "table" edge. It was a bit of a trick getting the recess in the top for the 1/4" bronze tinted glass insert. The trim was glued around the top then before the glue set it was flipped over on to 1/4" thick strips of wood to get the correct depth. Amazingly enough the glass doesn't rattle. All the joints are biscuits except the dowels for the top. No screws or nails.
    Have fun!

13. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Anyone heard a pair of K08T23's? How do they sound, for music purposes?

14. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

What can you tell me about the tower and/or bookshelf kits from www.speakerpage.com? I'm going to be using them in my bedroom, which is right above my parents bedroom, so the less sound that leaks through the floor late at night the better [​IMG] I also don't want to spend too much now. Somebody mentioned you needed a sub w/them? I also need a receiver, will any receiver work fine with these and vice versa? Thanks a lot.

15. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

If you're looking for something on a real budget, there is the S1 kit that Steve Sedmak designed based on our SA071 and SA-TW1. You can get drivers and Xover parts for about $100.

http://www.stryke.com/S1.html

There is a new revised Xover for that using a 6th order filter on the tweeter. This new version sounds much better, but has slightly more parts cost.

John

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jonathan and Tim,

The towers are excellent for music. I wouldn't say they're on par with the GR research stuff, but they aren't far behind, IMHO. The shielded bookshelf models are great little speakers for the money as well.

17. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Hey John, small world, I go to school in GB. You're located on Mills St.? Where's that? (I'm not from GB, so I don't know all the small streets [​IMG] ) Do you have any kind of showroom or display so I could get some ideas of what the S1 kit you mentioned may sound like? I'm completely new to HT, so if there is something I could read to better understand all of this, please direct me to it. Thanks.

18. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Brian, thanks, the 180 dollar price tag looks more apealing to my parents than the 300 for the A/V-1+. They hate buying things over the internet, so I'm caught in a hole untill I can get my own credit card, I'll have to wait at least 3 years, probably more[​IMG]. O well.

19. ChrisAK

ChrisAK Extra

There is also some pretty interesting stuff on speakerbuilder.net. No kits, just designs.

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jonathan,

The K08T23's were out of stock the last time I checked, but they are worth the wait. If you can talk your parents into getting them for you, I promise you won't be sorry. I think they could hold their own with most $800-$1000/pr. retail speakers.