DIY Speaker Cable from single braided 12 AWG?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have access to about as much 12AWG braided copper cable as I want for free, but it's in rolls of single conductor wire, not 2 conductors connected like standard speaker cable. I know simply running 2 lengths would work just fine, but I was wondering if there is a reasonably cost effective manner of connecting 2 lengths to make one dual conductor speaker cable?

The idea that makes the most sense is Tech-Flex and 3-1 Heat shrink then terminate with the appropriate ends. If i did this, what size Tech-Flex would i use? Also, are the Tech-Flex sizes listed at Parts Express the expanded size or the contracted size?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    How ‘bout making the two singles a twisted pair? Stick one end in a bench vice, the other in an electric drill and twist away. Works great, looks cool and has better RF rejection to boot!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

The tech-flex size listed is not explanded. You'll need measure both wires together to determine the correct size. I'm current in the process of doing the same thing. This should help:

Link