What's new

DIY Sono or PB10? (1 Viewer)

Isaiah

Auditioning
I’m trying to decide between a DIY SonoSub or an SVS PB10. So as you can see, I want that hit you in your gut feeling, but only have a low mid-level budget.

What would your parts recommendations be for a DIY Sono with a $400-500 budget?
What kind of performance could I expect from such a sub?
Pro amp...yes or no, and why?

I've messed around with WinISD, but I don't really understand it as much as many of you that post here. So I would definitely need help (or good plans) for a Sono.

Thanks.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You can build a great tube sub using a high excursion 15" and buy a prosound amp with that budget.

Just copy this sub I designed and built for my friend Pete. If you can use a fan cooled pro-sound and grab a Nady XA900 the $149 with shipping is a short time sale price so don't delay. Later add a Behringer BFD for EQ.

Since Blueprint drivers are no longer available use the SS RL-p 15"

The output from this sub will lay waste to multiple PB10's

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ascend Atlas 15" is another good high excursion budget driver that works well in large volume enclosures.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
True, but all of the Atlas and Avalanche drivers have been sold out for some time now. You'd have to find one on the used market or wait for Ascendant's new lines of woofers to be introduced.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Currently there are 2 viable and available 15" drivers.

The SoundSplinter RL-p 15, and the TC2+ 15" from www.oaudio.com.

The TC2+ has slightly better T/S specs, the RL-p 15" has more excursion and a more robust suspension

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that the new Ascendant woofers were already available. I helped a friend build a box sub using the original Atlas 12" and it was extremely impressive at the clearance price. I re-built my own box sub with an Avalanche 12" and at the clearance price of $200 i can't beleive the build quality, excursion, and sound quality present. If they're going to be available soon I would highly reccomend Ascendadt. Support is also top notch (to the point they will help with enclosure design specs to the last detail over the phone).

MikeGee

Second Unit
I'd go the DIY route as well, Tho since you want to do a sono tube i'd reccomend checking around first for the right sized sonotube. I almost did the same thing before i built my sub. I was not able to find anything over 12" Sonotube.

Isaiah

Auditioning
Yeah, I was worried about that at first, but through one of ThomasW's links I found a seller called "Whiteline"...or something with the word "white" in it. Anyway, they sell many, many sizes cut by the foot and they're located about 45 minutes from me. Actually they have two locations close to me in the metro area of Portland, so I guess I lucked out that way.

Ahha, I found it (not enough posts to link by URL, so just copy and paste):

whitecapdirect.com/locations/

whitecapdirect.com/store/worker?destination=/store/catalog.jsp&command=prodsearch&category=6010&ordby=ytdu

Maybe there is one close to you?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions everyone...I'm sure I will be asking for more help sooner rather than later.

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Nady XA-900 + SS RL-p 15" + 6" port = Scary.

If your budget will allow, there's no reason to bother with anything else.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Finding any size sonotube shouldn't be a problem just look up concrete supply in your local yellowpages. I live in Iowa and there are several. The one I called had every size and sold by the foot. I would check localy before you paid shipping :).

I wish partsexpress.com would put their 500w on sale for 197 again I have been holding out for along time waiting for that sale to roll arround again.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised the AE Speakers AV15 MKIII wasn't mentioned. It's sort of like a 15" version of the SVS dB+ driver but beefier and with a different voice coil. It will take 500 watts RMS and more than that for a short period. Some even use them with 1000w amplifiers for that extra momentary headroom. The main thing about the AV15 is that unlike the SoundSplinter drivers, the AV15 is designed for lower Fs, which will extend your low end potential. Substitute the RL-15 with the AV15 MKIII and you'll be set for bass. Sonotubes are a great way to build a large-volume enclosure since the cylinder shape doesn't bend or flex like a panel of a rectangular box will, so bracing becomes no longer a concern. And with Sonotube, you can fit a large internal volume into a small footprint. I think the finish of choice is black speaker carpet, but you could even (conceivably) veneer yours. The AV15 woofers are solidly built by hand by the proprietor of AE Speakers, so you know you're not getting something that will fail. At the risk of sounding like poisoning the well, AE Speakers used to be Stryke Audio, and re-sell drivers built by TC Sounds. But there were some problems with the drivers provided for Stryke Audio that TC Sounds refused to admit to, and even went so far as to not sell repair parts to Stryke Audio to repair the woofers in-house, so the proprietor of Stryke Audio wrote "TC Sounds will never get another penny from me" and the concept for AE Speakers was born. So go order from John - he knows what he is doing when it comes to build quality. Go to http://www.aespeakers.com and click on the "store" link. My AV12 has been a fantastic performer. As for using the AV15 down-firing, it should be no problem - the sag is only 2.2% of Xmax, well under the rule of thumb 5% maximum allowable sag.

An important fact is that you can do the sonotube with the AV15 woofer for less than $500. You can't even get a 25-31 PCi from SVS for that much. At the current price of AV15 woofers, it's more displacement per dollar than a RL-P15. And you'll get down to 17 Hz no problem. It's a shame no one has noticed this winning combination sooner.

Here's the thread on the AE Speakers forum with my post detailing four possible vented sonotube configurations using the AV15 woofer. http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=365

Welcome to the world of DIY. The first project always leads to more. You can have any speaker or subwoofer -- ANY speaker or subwoofer you desire. You can even do this well if you aren't the greatest woodworker in the world - but a decent plunge router (like my excellent P+C 890) and a Jasper Circle Jig would help. My friend and I fashioned our own circle jig from plexiglass for a subwoofer project we did for him, and the results with a nice spiral upcut bit are fantastic. The Jasper Audio circle cutting jig is pre-drilled for a wide range of sizes, though. You'll especially want it for cutting out the end caps for your Sonotube.

The black speaker carpet and the Jasper Audio circle jig can be had from Parts Express. Parts Express is your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks