What's new

diy shiva sub 142.5L (1 Viewer)

fred garvin

Agent
i'm in the process of building the adire plans for the 142.5L ported shiva enclosure. i know i have to caulk the interior seams, but should i do anything else to dampen the sound, i.e. a sound dampening spray? some eggcrate foam on the inside (i'm pretty sure polyfill should be avoided), or should i just leave it alone with the caulk on the interior edges.

any help from the more (much more) experience would be appreciated. thanx

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
You dont have to caulk the seams if the cuts are straight and the enclosure is airtight but it doesnt hurt either.
That design isnt dependant upon poly or any other damping material but you can lightly line the walls with sheet poly (batting) if you wish.

fred garvin

Agent
cuts arent bad, but are slightly off, hence some gaps, hence the caulk. is my first foray into any kind of cabinet building, so this will definitly be a learning experience. if it doesnt fly and i have to build another cabinet, so be it. the shiva is on order, and its not like it has a shelf life :)

thanks for the help.

ClarkZ

Agent
Hi,
I'm making the same sub as you. I was wondering what the total port length was (including both flaired ends). Thanks.

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I've made the 142.4L Shiva EBS. I used the FP-4 (if I'm not mistaken) that is recommended on the Adire website. I got mine from Creative Sound Solutions, out of British Columbia. The port comes in three pieces, which I put together using plumber's glue (careful! it sets up really fast). Even though my cuts were straight, I still caulked all the joints. This took almost a tube of caulking, but I think it was worth it for me because it only cost $5.00 and would give me piece of mind. As to stuffing, when I was building my Shiva I received advice to add it, while others told me that it was not necessary. So I compromised and put in less than 2lbs of polyfill.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks