What's new

DIY Sealed Tempest Pics (1 Viewer)

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a web page I created with some pictures of my new DIY sealed Tempest. All I can say is I love this thing! I'm so glad I went DIY because there's no way I could have bought anything even remotely close to this for $300. Plus I got to choose the exact design and finish. DIY is definitely the way to go!
Thanks to those who helped with my questions!
Here it is:
http://home.cinci.rr.com/reefsite/sub.htm
Brian

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
AWESOME! Very nice looking sub!

Yer right, DIY IS the way to go. I'm actually putting the finishing touches on my Tempest bases Sonosub, and this thing sounds awesome! With DIY, you can't buy anything even remotely close if you want the same performance for the price!

Mike

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Excellent, Brian, just beautiful. :emoji_thumbsup: It's really amazing what you get for your dollar with DIY vs. commercial offerings. You'd be hard-pressed to find a sub out there under a grand which uses a driver as good as a Tempest. And you'll pay a decent premium for a finish that nice.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Awesome Brian! Absolutely gorgeous!

I am actually going to be building the 142.5L Shiva+PR sub design that Adire has on their website. It will look quite a bit like yours with the black front and back.

Keep up the good work!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, very nice job on the look and finish of your new sub, and the costs/performance can't be beat! Welcome to the Sub Club!

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the comments. I am really pleased with how my first DIY speaker turned out. I think eventually I'll be replacing the rest of my speakers with new DIY speakers. I am now totally convinced that DIY is the way to go. Those of you who've been answering my questions on this sub know that I have a kitchen floor to install first though:D!
Brian

BrianMu

Stunt Coordinator
That's correct, Jeff. I originally thought of veneer but decided against it for two reasons. I didn't want to work with veneer and I didn't want square corners or the nightmare of figuring out how to make rounded corners with veneer. The 1/4" plywood was very easy. I cut it to the outside dimensions of the enclosure which left a 1/4" notch in all of the corners. I ripped some oak boards to 1/4" x 1/4" x 23", glued them into the notches, and used a 1/4" round over bit in my router to round them. I plan to use this process for any other speakers since it was so easy. Since the grain of the plywood is running the same way as the oak strips, they tend to blend in and dissapear - making it look like one huge "block" of oak.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks