DIY screens

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have read a few posts on here about users who have created their own screens for front projection. The materials seem to vary a little and I had a question...
    Would it be a good idea to paint a surface with reflective paint? I don't mean glossy reflective, I mean the same effect as highway stripes or road signs.. that kind of glowing quality when light hits it.
    Would this ruin the contrast?

2. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Reflective paint will cause hotspotting. Very similiar to the glare you see of a light bulb reflecting off a smooth surface. Your white level with increase, but at the expense of color saturation. Basically, everything will projected on your screen will bloom. To the contrary, people actually have better results from painting their screens gray. This immediately improves blacks and contrast. Of course, whites suffer a bit.
    Here is the absolute very best online resource for building DIY screens: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=e282acd8e5b97b56f5ceeda466060a2 3&forumid=23