Diy Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff Welborn, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Jeff Welborn

Jeff Welborn Auditioning

I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong forum.

Here's my question, I've read numerous other posts on DIY screens, it sounds like there are at least a dozen adequate ways to make one. I am a graphic artist at a sign shop and can get a 4'x8' sheet of a plastic material called styrene. It is lightweight and completely smooth with very little gloss. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this material, and if so, how were the results.

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

3. Jeff Welborn

Jeff Welborn Auditioning

Not quite. The GatorBoard I've dealt with is a stiff board-like material. Styrene is thinner and a plastic-type material. It can be rolled where GatorBoard cannot. However the finishes on them are almost identical in terms of smoothness and sheen.

So if GatorBoard works for a DIY screen, I'll bet styrene works just as well.

Also, styrene is very tough, you'll be hard pressed to push a dent in the stuff. But GatoBoard can get dents in it.

4. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I think the best solution for a DIY screen is to use something that is off white towards the grey colour. That way you'll get blacks from a projector, to look less grey. I've also used FL-day filters by Hoya to sharpen up the contrast levels as well. The downside to a camera filter is that you loose one F-stop, so the overall picture is darker.

5. Jeff Welborn

Jeff Welborn Auditioning

What's that paint color that is used alot on painting screens grey? Evening Mist?

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I had looked at the Gatorboard but it wa too expensive, especially shipped internationally. I went with the formica. Are you going to paint over the styrene or is it available in various colours?

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The paint color that's talked about at AVS is usually a mixture, but one of the base colors used is "Misty Evening". It's a Glidden mixture.

Some people have had success painting the back of Parkland Plastics screens to keep light from passing through, but if you go that route, try it with no paint first and see what you think. I have my Parkland screen up with nothing on the back, and I think the picture is great. I may try painting it eventually, but for now I'm happy with it "plain".

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jeff:

If you can get ahold of this pretty cheap since you work there I would try to take some home and just experiment with it. You may find that using the white surface that it comes with just fine. Then if that doesn't do the trick then you can always try painting it.

Parker

10. Jeff Welborn

Jeff Welborn Auditioning

Yeah, I'll probably just try it white at first, what can it hurt. I have a totally dark room with navy walls and am getting dark maroon carpet soon, so I should get some good blacks even off of white I think.

11. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I use Parkland Plastics w/out paint and I am happy with the results. I actually was planning on buying some Da-lite and was using the PP for temporary measures but after I got the Da-Lite test squares (hi power and hi contrast I think) I realized I preferred the PP. YMMV.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you ever decide to paint (with roller) in the future then look at adding something like Floetrol to the paint mixture so that the paint can be applied smoothly. It is available at Home Depot. Then there are the various spray paints that can be used but when you are ready, you can inquire into that.

13. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

14. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

hey neil where can you get the color you used for your DIY screen? I have never seen that brand before? Is it industrail?