What's new

DIY Screen Size- Infocus X-1 (1 Viewer)

NicDugger

Auditioning
One more question . . .

I have an X-1 -- it will be 14.5 feet from the screen suspended from a 9 foot ceceiling I can drop it 6-12 inches. I am going to build a dry wall/ screen goo screen myself with some crown molding on the edge for a "framed" look. How big should the screen be? I want to view both 4x3 and Widescreen movies, and I would even like to inincorporate masking system into the curtain I hang, but I am not sure the ideal dimensions. I want as big as I can get, with out loosing too much luma from the projector or being uncomfortable in the main seats.

I could just set up the room and test, but I would like to know what is ideal for this room size. The main seating will be about 12-13 feet from the screen. Thanks!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just my .02 -

Go on the smaller end of the range. The X1, in my room, was much better when 60" or less diagonally, from 12 feet. Of course you should experiment on your own, but in the last few days of ownership, my picture was at it's best when smaller.

As in fewer rainbows, better picture across the board, etc.

Otherwise Infocus . com should get you there. They have good help sources/pages.

Joel X

Stunt Coordinator
I would go big, you can always mask down. At 13' I like a 100" 16:9 screen. Projector: G-1000

The problem with knowing the ideal screen size for a projector is that different people like different things. Some prefer a larger image, others get eye strain from a large image. Some see screen door at a smaller size then others. The only way you'll know what you like is to set it up and see for yourself.

Even something as simple as what 4:3 size image you prefer can only be determined by you. The X1 can display a 4:3 image natively (scaled to 800x600), or display the actual pixels (to display in the same screen height as a 16:9 image).

A general rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2.0 times the screen width to seat distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.