DIY screen size and material.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Ahrens, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Chris Ahrens

Chris Ahrens Auditioning

I am looking to make a home theater. After some research mainly on forums like this, I think i have decided on a InFocus X1. But I need a little more advise. I plan on placing the projector on the back wall near the ceiling 16 ft from the screen. Any advise on the type of material to make a screen from and how big to make it.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to Displays area.

FYI, I used a formica based screen. Blackout fabric stretched over a frame is the other popular method. Whatever method you use, I would opt for a silver or gray coloured screen. Many have reported serious reduction in the rainbow effect with such a screen as opposed to a white screen, plus you will have an increase in contrast ratio as well.

Also, take a read through this thread ... Got my X1, what are you using for screen??

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

My advice is I hope you're ok with rainbows. I think the Panasonic L200 is a better PJ, but the X1 is ok for those not sensitive to rainbows.

My advice is to get some blackout material from a fabric store and just through the whole thing on the wall and play with screen sizes until you're happy. Blackout material comes big enough that you can make a screen as large as 108" in diagonal 16:9. Cost for the material? $25.00 maybe, if that. Just build a frame and you're set.