DIY Screen Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Clifford Manuel, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Clifford Manuel

I am about ready to pull the trigger for the Sanyo Z1 and I am probably going to make my own screen. Based on many people's success, I am going to use blackout fabric and then paint it either gray or silver. I had a question about mounting my screen. Most posts that I've seen involve building a frame then stretching the fabric over the frame. Has anyone tried stretching and fastening the fabric onto the wall and then putting a "frame" on top of the screen? In other words, the screen would be attached directly to the wall, instead of the frame. The frame, which I would paint a flat black, would just act as a border for the screen. Since the room that my projector is going in is a dedicated HT, moving the screen at a later time is not an issue.

Any ideas? Should I not go this route? Thanks in advance.

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

This seems like it would be difficult. To hold the tension, you would have to fasten to studs on the corners, which limits your screen size option. Also, it's much easier to stretch any kind of fabric "around" something, then adhere to the back. Trying to do it flat on a wall while standing on a chair will be a huge PITA.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it is doable, tho I would be more prone to building two frames, one to hold the cloth, then one to cover the edges.