DIY Screen Paint

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Parker Clack, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I just got my latest issue of Home Theater Builder and they had an ad in it for a company called DIY Theater. This company sells a primer/paint combination that you apply to your wall or other service. It is a bit pricey but when compared to the cost of a screen of the same size the price is up to about half the cost.

I thought it looked interesting enough to mention for those of you looking for another source for making a DIY screen.

Parker

2. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Er... at that price, I can buy a "real" screen...

Or a whole lot of rustoleum.

3. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

As for DIY paint, I used Misty Evening which worked very well when I did a compare with a portable screen from work. Total cost for one gallon $20 CA.

Cheers,

Zed

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Like I said it is pricey and listed it as another alternative to look into when setting up a screen.

5. hoppy2

hoppy2 Auditioning

As for DIY paint, I used Misty Evening which worked very well when I did a compare with a portable screen from work. Total cost for one gallon $20 CA.

Cheers,

Zed

Hey Zed, my friend. Who makes this misty evening? I have used it be fore and go t great results but forgot the mfg.

Chuck

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Glidden makes it.

7. Rhatphlegm

Rhatphlegm Stunt Coordinator

I bought a quart of DIY screen paint off ebay. It looked like flat grey paint to me - nothing special. I'd recommend buying a real screen - that's what I will replace my bedroom's "DIY screen" with...

8. brentf

brentf Auditioning

I have tried the paint on the wall with a mixture of paints and surprizingly it works pretty good. But I ended up trying a product called Goo by Goo Systems (www.goosystems.com). It is a two part system with a primer and a translucent top coat iin a variety of colors; white, light grey, darker grey and a very dark grey. I went with the light grey on my 133" screen. I previously had a Dalite screen so that was my reference. I have found the Goo screen to be far better in detail, and brightness. Areas of oversaturation which came with the other paint system I used and the Dalite screen were not present with the Goo systems. The areas of detail are clearer and sharper. The blacks are blacker and the colors are brighter. Given the chance I would try the darker grey because I can see where it would provide even greater detail.

The translucent paint really does reflect the light better than an ordinary paint that you buy in the store. I am using a Sanyo Z5 and the picture looks fabulous. I have seen many theatres and mine definately looks the best. The cost was $249 up here in Canada...close to the cost of a basic screen but much less than an expensive screen which it is more fairly compared to. I would suggest to anyone that this is the way to go if you have the ability to dedicate a wall to your screen. I am so happy with the results.

9. emmanuel21

emmanuel21 Auditioning

Read your post on DIY screen for your HT.

My basement is just getting done and am wondering what to do with screen???

I got quoted on a Draper Canada HDTV Format, 92 inch HiDef Grey Cineperm Video Projection Screen...for about $580

Or do i paint the wall with one of the many products out there...

I live in Thornhill, Ontario and looking for local shops or ideas.

Thanks,

Richard

---Looking to buy the Epson 6100

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The same paint will work the same way on the wall or on cloth you stretched over a frame or on a "real" screen that is now too shabby to use as-is or whose color/texture you wish to change.

When you use a wall for your screen, you may notice that the surface is not as good as it first looked.

At one time, in addition, I thought that if Brand X paint looks the same as Brand Y paint after being brushed on a surface and let to dry (including any sheen you may see when looking at the surface at an angle, then the performances of screens with those respective paints is going to be the same. So if DIY Theater sells a paint for X dollars and Home Depot sells what looks the same for Y dollars that is less, then I would just as well go to Home Depot.

To me, choosing a screen paint is just like choosing a piece of equipment, you have to read magazine reviews and/or get comments from friends, etc. and/or analyze light absorption figures and/or just use trial and error. Add to that the numerous permutations of screen (paint) color versus projector light output versus picture area in square feet versus how optically lively (having light/dark furnishings) the room is.

Video hints: Video Technicalia Made Easy

11. Roy Brooks

Roy Brooks Agent

Richard sent you an email that may help you out.

12. sestamuch

sestamuch Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the video, pretty informative.