DIY Schroeder Diffusors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis G, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone has built there own DIY quadradic residue diffusors? And if so how was the result? What type of material would you recommend to seperate the wells?

Travis

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Good question. A friend of mine built a couple of 2'x4' QRD diffusers about 10 years ago. I asked him about plans/dimensions, but he couldn't find them. I seem to recall that the equations/dimensions were published in Speaker Builder or the Audio Engineering Society Journal about a dozen years ago... but I couldn't find them either.

Help anyone??

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Here's the formula I have:
    Well depth proportionality factor = n^2 modulo p
    n = integer
    p = prime number
    Math isn't my long suit, so if any of ya'll understand how to use it, please share it with the rest of us math challenged types.
    WRT material, the vane types that I've seen are made from metal strips. The 'skyscraper' design that a DIYer built using differnt length 2x2 wood blocks and painted with the wall color, to not be so obnoxious looking, worked extremely well. Too much tedious work for me though.
    I 'killed two birds with one stone' by building a large bookcase. [​IMG] Ages ago I unintentionally built a decidedly non-mathmatical one from a slew of old kitchen utensils just ~tossed on a piece of wet polyester epoxy coated plywood, then spray painted it once dry. Never measured it's effects, but it did affect the kitchen's acoustics.
    GM