What's new

DIY room treatments (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,

I know there have been threads started about this topic before. I tried to find them by searching but got no results! I searched for room treatments, room treatment, acoustic panel, acoustic panels and sound proofing but I got nothing. Anyways, I'm ready to start building some acoustic panels but I can't find any plans to make them. From what I remember I just get a piece of peg board and then make a frame around it with 2x4's. Then I lay poly batting over the peg board and then fiber glass over the batting and then another layer of poly batting on the outside right? If thats the case is there any specific size I should use for each panel? Also is there any real science behind placing them in your room or do you just kinda move them around until it sounds good?

Thanks,
Ryan

TimForman

Supporting Actor
This topic is ususally covered in the HT Construction and Interiors forum. You've got the basic principal. Placement is typically determined by using moving a mirror along the wall until you can see your speaker from your listening position. This indicates a reflection point (light and sound) where you should place a panel. Check the forum I mentioned. There are always postings on this subject.

Ryan T

Second Unit
thanks Pat, I now feel really really stupid :).

Chris, I knew you had posted your in an old thread i stated but when i dug it up the link was broken.

btw my room is 14' by 11' and all painted sheet rock. I have nothing on the walls either. How many panels should i need? Thanks for the links, I'll have to bookmark them this time.

Ryan

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
one on each side wall at the first reflection point found with the mirror. May put something behind the speakers, or experiment w/behind your head...other than that I don't know...I need this answered as well I guess.

Martice

Screenwriter
HI Ryan. I am a very strong believer in room treatment and it's benefits. I've had acoustic foam on the wall before I actually had a true understanding of how sound behaved in a room but it was this BOOK that provided me the information that helped bring a better understanding of what and where to place my acoustic panels and other supporting room treatments.

For a quick hit, here are some links that may help you with your initial questions but I really think that anyone who is taking the overall sonics of their system seriously should own or read Robert Harley's book as linked above.

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

LINK 6

Reading these articles should get you on the path to properly acoustically treat your room.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks