DIY repair of DVD players and other components

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Leiter, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Having just found out the outragous amount my local shop wants just to LOOK at my DVD player, I thought i would look into repairing it myself. Does anyone know of any good sites that would give me some in-sight into making my own serviceing of my electrontic components?

Thanks

2. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

Depends....... what's wrong with it?

3. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

My immediate concern is my Toshiba SD-6200 DVD player. This particular player has a 2 disc tray system. Basically one drive unit with 2 holding trays that can alternate discs between them.

A DVD seems to have jammed in the drive unit. The disc will still play, I just can't get it to eject on to one of the holding trays. At first I thought I could just remove the cover of the player and possible get at it that way. But, having done this I found that the drive unit has some sort of locking mechanism which locks the disc in place.

Currently, I am trying to remove the drive unit completely. Once I do this, I hope to be able to examine the under side of the drive unit more closely and possible locate this locking mechanism. The only things keeping me from completing this are 3 lengths of ribbon wire connecting the drive unit assembly to circuit boards mounted on the inside of the player housing. The connector that attach the ribbon wire to the circuit board look like it might be removeable. But, i'm not certain. They certainly aren't soldered on.

My main focus is on these connectors. Are they removable? If they are not then how does one service the DVD drive unit? There must be a way.

Again thanks to anyone who can help me out.

4. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

It's probably as simple as the belt coming from the eject motor fell off. Of course, that's located underneath the dvd. Sorry, I'm not sure how to get inside your player.

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

The ribbon connectors in my CD player are removable. They're pretty small, so I had to look carefully to figure out where to pull. Sometimes there are one or two little tabs on the male connector (attached to the cable) that locks into a slot on the female connector (on the PCB), and then you'll need to use a tiny screwdriver to push them down before the connector will come out.

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Hm, I was wondering the same thing because now it looks like my CD player is really on its way out. It is super-sensitive to vibration and will skip when you step down hard on the floor... it also skips on the first track on most of my CDs... and takes many tries to load a CD (makes a clicking noise a few times then declares there is no disc). I'm sure this is some tiny little adjustment or dirty part or something, I just don't know what to do with it. I did open it up and clean the lens, and that didn't help. Oh well.

So do you think it is more worthwhile to try and get this one fixed, or just toss it and buy a new one?

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Weird, my CD player has started giving trouble too, recently - it can't read any discs sometimes, but if I power it off and then power it on again, it works fine. I was thinking that it's just the lens that needs cleaning, but after reading your post, maybe it's just reached the end of its life? It's 4-5 years old now.

8. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

My DVD started doing that too! We should start a club. [​IMG]

Seriously tho, I think my problem is my own problem. It's 3+ years old, I increased the laser power so allow it to read rewritables, I think it's nearing the end of it's life now. Reads cds fine, just has problems with DVDs.

Oh well, still got my xbox to hold me until I finally feel I need a progressive scan DVD player.

9. Michael R Price

My CD player is a Denon DCD-1520 (used to be high end) and on the back it says it was manufactured in January 1989. If it worked for 13 years why would it stop working now? [​IMG]

This is just a bit of logistical problem for me. All I need is a working CD deck and chassis with a linear power supply so I can supply the important components I'm about to build - clock, DAC, I/V stage, and power supply/grounding stuff... but now I don't even have that. Instead of buying an old high end player I should have bought a new cheapo player. Just a little advice to anyone considering doing what I'm doing.

Edit: Saurav, I recall you saying you had a service manual. Does it say anything specifically about servo adjustments? From what I've been reading on the internet I may have a problem with a servo, probably the tracking one. I found the trimpots for those, and a general way of adjusting it, but I was wondering if there are any specific hints or procedures for the Denon ones. (Yes I know our players may be completely different but with me, anything could help.) See, I couldn't find a service manual for this one. Thanks a lot.

10. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Hey all,

Well, I managed to fix my DVD. I was finaly able to remove the drive unit. Turns out that there was no connector attached to the ribon wire at all. It was attached to the circuit board. The wire was just basicly shoved into the plastic connector on the board. Once, I figured this out I was able to get at the under side of the drive unit. I then was able to remove the laser from the drive unit. Once that was done I could finaly get the DVD out.

And the culprit was....the freaken DVD I bought used at Blockbuster!!

I purchased this disc recently and when I got it home the first thing I did was to peel all the little stickers BB loves to put all over things. This left a small amount of adhesive remaining on the disc itself. When the disc was inserted into the player and then subsequently locked into place by the drive unit, the drive unit used the inner ring of the disc where the adhesive was to hold the disc in place. This of course reactivated the adhesive onto the drive unit.

The moral of the story??? If going to be foolish enough to take the advertising off my used discs, take an extra few minutes to remove the adhesive as well. Jesh!!

11. Michael R Price

That's good to hear, Mark. These things are sometimes a pain to work inside, as I'm learning.

Alas, the servo adjustments are getting me somewhere. I think I fixed the problem where it would click, start spinning the CD in the wrong direction and then stop and declare no disc. This was a simple adjustment of the focus offset (maybe it drifted over time or something). Anyway, now I have more problems with random skipping, especially in the first track or two of a disk. I have to find a good combination of focus servo settings to get rid of those, but so far the condition of this player has definitely improved. The tracking adjustments reduced the amount of clicking sounds along with the rotation (i.e. "bip-bip-bip...") but it would lose track too easily so I put it back where it was. This player is really well built, and the rest of the components appear OK except the power supply capacitors.

Just thought I would share my experience.

12. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

That's why I stay away from modding digital stuff. Too complicated [​IMG]

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I had an old Fisher CD player I bought in 1988 (yes, that's right...Fisher. Hey, I never said I was an audiophile in 1989!) that would skip all over the place if you just looked at it. And sometimes it wouldn't read CD's at all.

I took it apart and found that there was a little metal clip that basically provided tension to grab the hub of a cd for spinning. Well.. a bit of tightening on the screw holding the clip and it restored the tension and it worked fine... at least for a little while.

I think I ended up selling that CD player to the Smithsonian. [​IMG]