DIY Protective screen, is there non-glare plexiglass?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harold A, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I would like to build a screen protector for my PT-47WX49 the one they sell is a piece. It uses cheesy clips and is not even the size of the screen.
    I figured it would be easy enough to get a piece of plexiglass cut and attatch to the tv case around the screen using velcro at the for corners. A couple of questions:
    1) I know I can get regular plexiglass easily. IS there a place to order tinted or coated to help out with the glare?
    2) If I place the screen on the case with velcro there will be about a 1/4 inch gap between the lenticulat and the plexiglass. Does this distance matter? I know usually they are all sandwiched close together.
    3) Is there any advatage/ disadvantage to attatching it at just the corners as opposed to the whole border? I plan to only have the screen in place when there are kids or company aorund.
    Thanks

2. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

Hi Harold-
    Try places that mount prints/photographs. I know they have glass that is treated that way, I'd guess they probably have plastics as well. . .
    Markd

3. Harold A

Mark,
    Is there any reason I could not use a thin sheet of glass? I know it would be heavier and breakable but it should still protect the screen.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There is no such thing as something that is transparent and does not have glare from reflections.
    Frosted glass of different kinds has been tried for video including the faces of direct view tubes, but there is always a price to pay in softening of the picture. There are coated glass and plastic materials available with much reduced glare although quite expensive for a piece as large as an RPTV screen.
    By bonding the protective layer to the screen with glue or resin (done with direct view tubes) some of the air to glass surfaces are eliminated reducing glare, but this is not too practical for an RPTV.
    The biggest and perhaps only advantage of glass over plastic is that you can clean it more times before it starts to look ratty from myriads of microscopic scratches.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on November 15, 2001 at 07:05 AM]

5. MarkDesMarais

Sure, you could use glass. As Allan points out, it will clean up better. Your call on the breakability. Personally, I'd rather clean/replace a screen than deal with a sliced arm on a kid. :-P
    Yeah, anytime you put something between you and the screen you have a tradeoff. I used to design flat panel monitors, and picking protective elements is as much an art as a science- trading off reflectivity with transmissivity, glare resistance, the dreaded "sparklies". As Allan mentioned, there are better options if you are willing to spend the money.
    Here are a few suppliers from one of my co-workers archives- newest items on top. Some make coated products, others make films, others will press patterns into the surface. . . have fun!
    Viratec
    Precision Printers
    Optical Devices Incorporated
    Silver Cloud Manufacturing
    Bausch and Lomb
    OCLI (Optical coating Laboratory)
    Polaroid (better hurry)
    Hoya (optics division)
    Astra Products
    Vu-Tek
    Exxene
    Liberty Mirror (Libbey-Owens-Ford co)
    Balzers Thin film products
    Markd

6. Harold A

I have found a supplier in my area who can sell me a 4x8 sheet of low-glare plexiglass for $110. He said he woul cut it at no charge. I figure I can get 3 maybe 4 screen protectors out of the sheet. I have a 47" Panasonic. A piece of regulat plexiglass is about 1/4 the price. The low glare plexi-glass just basically has a UV coating on it which should also reduce glare.
    I will check on that list Mark.
    Thanks

7. MarkDesMarais

Make sure to get a sample of the material and try it out before committing- check it at a normal viewing distance.
    Also, on the mounting question- if this is thin plexi (almost certainly is at that price) you will probably need to support it in the middle of the top or it will want to sag away from the screen.
    Good luck!
    Markd

8. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

My 61" 4:3 RCA had the exposed Fresnell lens and I simply
    could not stand it at all.. Fresnell lenses are damn near
    impossible to clean and I have a very messy Doberman roaming
    around.. I looked at SuperSheilds and for my set was $300.00
    for a piece of plexi with cheesy velcro....
    I went to a local glass shop and had a sheet of 1/8" lucite
    cut which cost me all of $37.00. I tore my screen apart and
    I bolted the lucite infront of the Fresnell lens inside the
    frame. It looks just like it was factory installed and an
    added side benefit was a drasticly sharpened picture. I can
    run my sharpness at nearly zero.. (like in the 5-10 range)
    But yes it does glare and it's unavoidable.. I just close
    the drapes and it's all good.. For me the piece of mind is
    worth any minor drawback like glare..
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]