DIY Projectors??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I stumbled across this site: http://www.audiovisualizers.com/madlab/lcd_proj.htm
    I was wondering if anyone has any information on constructing your own projector? (where to get LCDs, how to connect them, lens adjustments, etc...)
    Being a tinkerer, and a tightwad, this may be an interesting project for me.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Tightwad? If you can find a kit that is ..... reasonable in price, please post it. You are the third person I have seen now that is interested in building their own LCD projector. The other 2 were directed to the AV Science Forum here

3. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

This guy is attempting a DIY projector. Very complex and with cost of LCD FP dropping I'd research comsumer goods vs DIY very carefully. Nothing worse than sinking a couple hundred dollars and not having the results you were looking for. Good luck either way
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...p?threadid=281
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

It would be much more than a couple of hundred dollars. I know how complex and expensive they are to build. Save your money and frustration.

5. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

quick thread resurrection;
    following the stuff about "opaque projectors" for use in a DIY projector situation (http://www.audiovisualizers.com/madlab/lcd_proj.htm) , i have decided to get an Artograph Prism and a 5" LCD from PartsExpress.com and see how good it can be (i am not that picky on the quality front, i just want a really big picture for those two movies a week)
    QUESTION: does the "opaque projector" scenario assume a 5" LCD which has an additional backlight or somesuch? would i be able to test the Artograph prism on top of a newer LCD laptop monitor just to adjust focus and what not (or would that be too dark?)
    Thanks in advance!

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Woah.. this thread is a blast from the past.

7. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Have you read Slashdot's post on this ? Apparently, someone took a normal OHP projector with an arc lamp, and somehow fit a 2.5" (as used in cameras) LCD in there.
    DIYAudio also has a looong-running (over 1000 replies) thread on this. I seem to remember the original poster was doing it with white LED's.

8. peter_anderson

Mark: yeah, i _tried_ to read that post on DIYAudio but i couldn't search within the thread, so i decided to ask here. If the test doesn't work well i will just return the projector, no harm done.

we have a lot of stores 'round here which sell the artograph prism for $180, so it is _nothing_ compared to a REAL lcd projector.

9. peter_anderson

Dave: I mean a replacement for the default backlighting, such as in this DIY projector:
    http://www.geocities.com/zark5150/projhow.html
    as opposed to the default backlight plus an opaque projector, of which I have seen no examples, but according to the first page i linked, is possible.

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I have been following the 130 page DIYaudio thread for some time.

The two main trends are: 1) buying a transparent projection panel and placing it on a good overhead projector, and 2) buying a very small (1.8") LCD panel and using a slide projector. The attempts at building optical systems from scratch haven't turned out too well. LEDs are too weak (at least for now), and it's very hard to find an economical light solution. It would be easier to use small LCDs, but the 1.8" and smaller LCDs are very hard to find (they're OEM for the most part).

At this stage the idea is only somewhat practical. No one is getting results nearing that of commercially available projectors. But it is very interesting and you can experiment with it for a few hundred bucks. I may try it in a couple years.

11. peter_anderson

Michael R. Price: I figured since i wasn't stuck on having 1024x768, then i could put something _usable_ together for $300. Those 5" LCDs from partsexpress do 960x240 or somesuch, which is probably going to look just as good as my older 27" CRT! if it is bright enough, of course...

12. peter_anderson

BLAH! what a waste of time. have to return the projector. Project failed. it was very hot and noisy and dim (even with high-contrast magazine graphics), plus at twelve feet from the wall, the image was 7'x7', far too large. time to start saving for the real deal.

13. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

It won't work guys. There is lots of difficult technology in an electronic projector.