What's new

DIY Projector screen (1 Viewer)

Amal

Grip
Hi there.. I just realised its way to expensive to get a commercial screen made. So i decided to make my own. I am sure some of u have already attempted this. Anyone has some guidlines as to type of material , Size of black borders , construction hints..etc before i start. I'm loooking at a 4:3 aspect ratio for my projector.

Thanks in advance
Amal

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There are a few options. Ths most popular is blackout material stretched over a DIY frame. Many people paint either gray, white, or a few do it silver.

I used a slightly different approach as indicated in my signature below.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
My screen was to big to use blackout cloth with (wtih 4:3 materials, the screen would be 100" diagonal), and i couldnt find parkland plastics, so i just decided to paint the wall i was shooting on.

Very cheap, very easy, and very quick.

Amal

Grip
Thanks guys :). I think i am going to try and find some high gain material and see if i can use that. The only thing is finding the material... The frame should be easy to construct. Thinking of going to timber city get some wood to my specs and then some assembly... :)

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I made mine out of coated celtic cloth from Dazian fabrics. (http://www.dazian.com) It comes up to 160" wide and is relatively cheap, and also reasonably acoustically transparent, if you need speakers behind the screen. However, high gain and transparent don't mix, and I'm not sure Dazian has any material that is classified as high gain, though they do have I'd say at least a dozen screen fabrics available. I made my frame out of fir 1 x 3's, held together with metal L brackets on both sides of each corner. I wrapped the back with heavyweight duvetyne to prevent light coming through, and added a 3" border using Duve-pro fabric tape. I chose 3" because 2" wasn't enough to cover my frame, and the next size, 6", just took away too much viewable area. My screen frame is 78" x 60", making for a viewable area of 72" x 54", or 90" diagonal. The whole thing probably weighs about five pounds.

Definitely check out the screens forum over at http://www.avsforum.com

You should be able to buy high gain screen material from most of the major screen manufacturers.

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks