DIY Power Cables ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I was just wondering if their is any real advantage to doing this.I recently have made one for my reciever I used a wattgate 320 IEC,a hospital grade plug on the other end an a piece of monster 3 conductor 14awg wire to make it.

I decided to make this because the plug that came with my reciever was only 18awg and the IEC plug on it didnt have a very good grip.Anyway I havent noticed any real differance other than the plugs fit much tighter than the old one that came with the reciever,and I was thinking about makeing one for my sub amp also since it to is only 18awg,it fits pretty tight though so I havent been as worried about it,but if their is any chance it may help out with sound quality I will make one for it too.

Thanks for any help..

2. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

I think you need to give these things time to break in. Plus, you might want to try different cables and maybe adding a capacitor across the hot and neutral to act as a filter. It's what I've read anyway.
    I've just started building a power cord using the Leviton 5266-C plug and WattGate 320. I used 4 strands of 12ga. 600v THHN cable. I'm also going to build one from 12 ga. SJOOW wire. Both cables can be bought at Home Depot.
    If I was going t build any power cord I would use at least 12ga. wire. 10ga. would be even better.
    Check out www.percyaudio.com for parts.